Does your church allow you to get married outside?

I was searching online for some place in Hawaii to renew our vows One of the wedding sites said Catholics are hardly ever given permission to marry on the beach, a book said they never get permission.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• i don't think any protestant churches have a rule on that...i could be wrong, tho .
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 1:43 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• true about catholics. I am no longer allowed to go to communion because I was not married by a priest in the catholic church.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:44 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• God doesn't care where you marry... inside a church building or not.
    There is nothing in the bible that says you must be married by a priest or a pastor inside a church.
    My step mom a catholic married my dad then a presbytarian outside a church building!

Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:25 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• My parents are Catholic and thier church allows that. I am Baptist and mine does also. They allow us to get married anywere someone legally allowed to marry us is willing to go. So if your priest/ pastor doesnt want sand in his crack he very well may not allow you to have a beach marriage.
    I say find another minister to do your marriage. GOOD LUCK!
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 8:56 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Many Catholic churches do not allow you to marry anywhere other than in the church. Some even have guidelines about what you can wear,etc. One of my friends got married in the Catholic church and had to assure that her dress met certain standards (no bare back and no cleavage- she had to choose a dress that covered both back and chest in lace so it wasn't showing skin in order to get married there.) However I don't think many protestant dominations have a rule about it... my dh and I were married outside and it was very beautiful. The marriage was performed by a minister from the United Church, clearly they were okay with it.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:48 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• We were almost married outside, but it rained that day. :( I hope to renew my vows on a beach somewhere. God doesn't care if you choose to get married outside. Adam and Eve were married in a garden. :)
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 2:22 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• A Catholic needs permission from a bishop to be married somewhere other than a Catholic Church. There are some outdoor chapels where Catholics can be married, but it would be extremely rare to be married on a beach. This is because for Catholics marriage is not just a ceremony - it's a sacrament. And in a Catholic Church we have the real presence of God in the Eucharist. So the idea is why get married in front of the ocean when you can be married in front of Him who made the ocean? The focus shouldn't be on the wedding day - but on the marriage. It's appropriate to make marriage vows in front of God and the faith community (which should support the couple in marriage) in the place where the faith is practiced. It reminds us of the sacredness of the vows.

However the reception could be held on a beach - that would be fun. And I think someone could renew their vows on a beach.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:04 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I didn't know that about the Catholic church, but I know for a fact my church does. My sister in law was married by the same minister that married me, even though she was raised Catholic. They had a beautiful garden wedding.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:13 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I am a Seventh Day Adventist and we get married outside, in the church, under the water if we want to. If you can find a pastor to jump out of a plane with you go right on ahead lol.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 3:29 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• We can get married anywhere. many of my friends got married outside by our elders.
    snowpeasmom

Answer by snowpeasmom at 12:24 AM on Jun. 30, 2009