how do you introduce a dog and cat?

I have a 1y/o cat and I am getting a 3yo male cocker spaniel next week. How do I introduce them? I don't want any blood shed! Thanks!

Soniam301

Asked by Soniam301 at 2:05 AM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Pets

• Throw them into the shower together. They will quickly become acquainted.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:06 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Do it slowly. First hold the dog and pick up the cat then go hold the dog wail you smell like cat. Make sure when you introduce them someone else is there to help. Do it slowly and calmly. Make sure the dog is on a leash. Let the cat go through the house and calm down the dog wail they are on a leash. Then let the dog go and explore but watch them. Good luck
    mom2boyjuly07

Answer by mom2boyjuly07 at 2:39 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Probably will be your blood.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 5:01 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Keep the dog on a leash attached to you (or another adult) at all times! That's what we did. If the dog is on a leash, the cat won't be quite so scared, and s/he will be more open to sniffing and watching the new creature. Our cat and german shepherd/husky lived in harmony for a few years after two horrible weeks of keeping him leashed all the time. By the end of the third week, they were best friends. Just do not let them both loose in the same room. If the dog chases the cat, you will have broken furniture at the very least.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 1:05 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I'll tell you what I did when I adopted a 1 year old golden retriever and introduced her to my (then) 13 year old cat:

The dog was only allowed to be in two rooms of the house: kitchen and den. She was very easy to train and to this day does not violate these boundaries. Confining the dog to one area was great for the cat, because my cat knew that there were places in the house where she could go to be alone and feel safe.

Then, I let the cat figure it out on her own. For the first two weeks, she hid upstairs for the most part, then slowly she started coming downstairs one stair at a time, and finally into the kitchen. Then she went through a small phase where she'd be in the kitchen/den, but only if she was perched on a couch or chair where the dog couldn't find her.

Then things just worked out. Dog and cat are friends now (4 years later) and are completely comfortable together (cont.)
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 3:12 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• (cont)

They hang out together, go outside together, etc. They even groom each other sometimes. So yes, it is possible for animals to adapt.

Definitely helped that my cat is outgoing and my dog is submissive. An over enthusiastic dog might cause problems.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 3:13 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• I just got 2 cats and my dog wasn't too excited about the kitties. For the first two days they were confined to our bedroom because we had no other open rooms to put them in and it made Dixie mad because she was used to sleeping with us instead of her kennel. But now that i've finished painting the downstairs bedroom and it's aired out that is now their room. A kids gate about a foot off the ground lets them come and go as they please and keeps Dixie out. That way they can get to know each other on their own terms. The cats are getting braver to explore the house and everythime Dixie chases them back to their room she gets a firm NO NO! and a light swat on her rump. She is beginning to learn they are not her chase toys but Momma's New Kitties, and is getting much better!
    I also have to make sure after I have Kitty Time I MUST have Dixie time so she doesn't get jealous and she is beginning to accept them
    SouthernRoses

Answer by SouthernRoses at 1:01 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Thanks everyone! I hope the introductions go smoothly!!
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 1:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2009