What are some fun, educating, and easy things to do daily with my 17 month old?

I've found that since I've started my business my son gets a little sad when I am working on the computer he retaliates by ignoring me when I am done and go to play with him; he just ignores me or whines at me so I leave him alone. Now I am finding that I am never seeing or getting to play with him anymore. I only work a few hours through out the day. What are some educative, fun and easy things that him and I can do together? I already take him for walks and I try to color with him but he is so smart I mean VERY smart so I want to really help him by doing fun but constructive things for his physical energy and mind energy level. Thanks ladies!

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 5:19 AM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sitting down and reading books - attention span at this age is quite short, but even if you read while he is playing beside you he will be listening.
    Doing clapping/hand games.

Play doh, painting - etc.

My 20 month old also really enjoys "helping" me cook - or sweeping the floors, or polishing surfaces with a cloth (she makes more of a mess than anything really, but she still really enjoys thinking she's helping mommy.)
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 8:11 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Here's a great website to come up with fun activities, has a section for all age groups. Good luck! http://www.productiveparenting.com/
    COUNTRYxGiRL

Answer by COUNTRYxGiRL at 8:42 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• At this age it's important to vary the activities so that he's not doing the same thing every day. You want to do something physical, something cognitive, and something sensory every day. So make up a game for the physical that involves running around in the yard, on a rainy day ball up some socks and have him throw them into the laundry basket from farther and farther distances. For cognitive development try playing games like Memory or putting together a puzzle. For sensory you can do finger painting, sand play, rice play, water play, anything that he gets to stick his hands into. You can mix cognitive with sensory by letting him bake with you, or making home made play doh together. There are really TONS of things you can do at this age! Just make like you're a kid and enjoy!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:39 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• sensory things, let him help with the laundry (putting clothes in the drier, pouring the soap into the washer etc) let him cook with you, "sweep" "mop" play hide and seek, show him how to open and close doors, practice walking up and down the stairs, make up games etc.
    rozepyle

Answer by rozepyle at 10:46 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Do you have a friend, neighbor or relative you can trade child care with for a few hours a week?

Answer by rkoloms at 9:44 PM on Jun. 27, 2009