An alternative to Cap and Trade?

OK, I've been reading alot of arguements for and against cap and trade on here lately (personally, I'm against it). I was thinking in terms of my household - we're getting a wood furnace and we'll go back to using the kerosene lanterns (we did it one winter to save money for christmas- we went from 100 / month electric bill to about twelve bucks). Also we have battery powered camp lanterns that we use occassionally. If we ALL did this - wood furnaces (keep the gas on though in case it gets REALLY cold), lanterns for light, washing clothes in cold water only, etc. our individual utility bills would drop. How would that affect the cash flow into DC? (hell, i'm all for going Amish, we might even get rid of the internet! Kids spend way too much time here anyway) cont'd

plylerjones

Asked by plylerjones at 6:34 AM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• So the point of C&T is to slow down global warming, but at the expense of the American taxpayer and corporate owners by taxing them into the stone age. But I'm sure DC already has plans for the money they expect to get when this starts in 2012. So if we all do this NOW, and drop our utility bills in advance, how do you think DC would react?
    (sorry if this seems rambling, LO was up like half the night!)
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 6:36 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I think that's the problem with ALL tax generated plans where income is expected. What DC doesn't get is we're not all a bunch of sheep (well, the majority of us anyway!), and by using some of that gray matter up there in between our ears, we'll figure out ways to circumvent the extra costs, and become resourceful, self-sufficient, and cost conscious.

That will then impact DC, and they'll have to find NEW ways of taxing us to death, say by limited the number of breaths you can take per hour! OR double tax the people who refuse to pay the old taxes! "Oh, you're going to grow your own food? Then we'll tax you triple for trying to think outside the box!" kind of attitude.

All we can do now is hope the Senate has the enough gumption to say "no" to C&T (I know they won't); which leaves sending a CLEAR message in 2010 by voting OUT those who voted FOR C&T, and cut back drastically wherever possible for OUR survival!!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:16 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• that's pretty much how we're approaching it here. We can't exercise enough control over DC to make them stop taxing us on everything, but we sure as hell aren't going to just sit back and accept it. I just got done going through the house and removing all the lightbulbs except for two reading lamps and the nightlight over the kitchen sink :-) I mean, the sun doesn't set until like 10 pm here and when I woke at 5 am today it was already light enough to see! Screw C&T! It's summer! (although DH is gonna have a fit since I unplugged the AC's and opened the windows, but then again, he doesn't write the check to the electric company, I DO!)
    And they better get used to wearing sweats and socks this winter because I am programming the furnace to 62 degrees and then knocking the damn thing off the wall.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 7:37 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• personally, I'm against it). I was thinking in terms of my household - we're getting a wood furnace and we'll go back to using the kerosene lanterns

You're kidding me? Aren't you? You want to go backwards?

Ok. That's exactly why Obama was elected! Change for the future, a better future!
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 8:38 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• If companies won't change on their own. Paying will encourage change. It hurts, but its TRUE.
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 8:39 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• we shouldn't have to live like this. If you want to go back to living like they did 100 years ago, take a look at the politicians 100 years ago. They were elevted to HELP the people, create and enforce laws. Make this country fair for everyone. Checks and balances. Now what? They are dictating how we live in your example. Not right. not fair. they are NOT doing their job.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 8:48 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Grandmarga - sure, why not? I make my own bread by hand and can my own veggies. I don't consider it going backwards - I LIKE to do stuff like this and teach my children a little self-sufficiency. If it saves my household money, why not? It's fun! DH and I used to chop wood when we were younger (both our parents had woodburners) and we liked the feeling of accomplishment. Our 14 YO son could use a better sense of accomplishment than reaching the next level on Halo 3, IMO.

Besides, we didn't vote for the current POTUS. But if chopping wood gives me exercise, and we all look better by candlelight, why not? I can't stop how congress votes, but I sure can undercut their results :-) Did I mention we're building a chicken coop next to the garage? Eggs are getting ridiculous. DH wants to get a goat but I'm not going that far.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 8:53 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• OP you also can control how much time your kids spend playing video games. It is called parenting!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I know, anon, but it's hard when Daddy is sitting right there with him.. :-)
    I hate video games - I'm a reader. Gimme a book and I'm happy. Although guitar hero wasn't that bad, played it alot for about 3 weeks then lost interest.
    If you're trying to pick a fight, cupcake, go elsewhere.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 9:06 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Grandmarga... I agree with the original pp. We do the same things, use candlelight/lanterns, grow our own food, cook from scratch, raise our own meat and milk. I love being backwards because it gives me a sense of freedom. I don't have to worry about what I can afford to buy at the grocery store to feed my family because my grocery store is right outside my back door. Folks had it right in the past and then they screwed it up. Time to straighten this mess out. Industrialism was not a good thing because it made slaves of the people.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Jun. 27, 2009