What tempature should my air be on to keep it cool but not raise the bill thru the roof

I have central air. I want to keep it cool so the sweat is not running down my kids faces but I dont want to fight with my husband about the bill going sky high. Is it better to turn it on n keep it on even if its not running or better to turn it off its not so hot at nite n turn it back on in morning if unbareable? Its central air I dont no if that makes a difference. Im not tryin to sound like a dumb blonde but we argue about it and I was curious on ur inputs ty

MamaOf3Girls09

Asked by MamaOf3Girls09 at 7:53 AM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Home & Garden

• My fiance works pt w/a man who installs a/c. They say to keep it on 72 to keep bill from going up. Also, I've always been told to keep it on rather than turning it off & on. It makes it work harder to cool down ur house once its unbearable, causing ur bill to go up even more. GL!
    bridgeh2o

Answer by bridgeh2o at 8:20 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• NEVER turn a central unit off and on, the energy required to start it back up will cost you lots of money. Set your thermostat at 73 and leave it alone. The only time you touch it is to move it from heat to cool. If you are gone during the day, you can turn it to 80 and then back to 73 when you get home, that won't cause such a strain on your bill. Also, you can get fans to help the a/c. Fans take little to no electricity to operate. I follow these tips myself and my electric bill is never more than $60. Good luck and God Bless!
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:21 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I keep mine between 65 and 66. We like to be cool when we come in the house. Not have to be in a while before we cool off.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 8:25 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I leave mine on 78 during the day with ceiling fans running. I turn it down to about 75 at night so I can sleep.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 8:47 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• we leave our at 74
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 8:56 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• but do i turn the actual ac notch on so if it gets to hot it will just kick on
    MamaOf3Girls09

Answer by MamaOf3Girls09 at 8:58 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• It depends on where you live and what your outside temp is. So some of these answers work in areas where the temps are lower, but would not work if you live where it is truly hot. A central A/C unit will only lower the temp in your house about 20 degrees cooler than the outside air, no matter what temp you set the thermostat at. So be realistic about what to expect when you set it. If your temps are in the 90's and above, don't expect your a/c to cool your house below 80 degrees during the day. Setting the thermostat at 74 will only cause it to run and run, but it won't accomplish anything but be a drain on your electricity. If you live in an area where you are in the 80's or below, you will most likely be able to set your thermostat to a temp that makes you feel comfortable and it will come on only when it needs to. You just need to decide what temp makes you comfortable not only with the air, but with the bills.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:50 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Brrrr 65 to 66? OMG I would be freezing! We turned ours on this week and set it to 75 and we keep it on because it takes more energy getting the temp back down where you want it each time you turn it back on! Just let it maintain!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:43 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• We keep ours at 78 24/7 during the summer. 67-69 during the winter. We also have ceiling fans in all the bedrooms and the living room. If we go out of town then my husband puts the a/c somewhere in the 80's, but I don't know where. Probably around 88 or 89.

Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:37 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• we don't have a/c
    a properly sized and installed ceiling fan will lower the room temperature an average of 7 degrees

Answer by rkoloms at 5:41 PM on Jun. 27, 2009