Tell me this wouldn't make you nuts..

Our youngest child is 11 months old tomorrow and he doesn't sleep longer than 3 hours at a stretch at home during the night. However, my sister (who has no children but positively adores mine) takes him to her house for overnight visits (actually for about 4 days at a time) and he sleeps all night for her! goes to bed at 10, up at 8 or 9 am!!! He just came back from a 5 day visit with "aunty" and she went over his routine with me - exactly the same as at my house!.. last night was the first night home and guess what - bed at 10:30, up from 1:30 to 3:00, up at 5 am, back to sleep at 5:30... still sleeping right now but probably up soon..
This is my THIRD CHILD - WTH!!!! I love him but OMG I am SO ready to give custody to my sister (j/k).. maybe...
Has this happened to anyone else?
p.s. at my MIL's he's up every hour on the hour.. they won't even watch him anymore except 2-3 hours during the day once a month.

plylerjones

Asked by plylerjones at 8:07 AM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Seems like for some reason he feels safer or more comfortable with his aunt. Maybe because it gives him one on one time without his brothers/sisters around. Good luck!
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:13 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• That's what my sister said... she prefers him all to herself w/out the other kids. My inlaws (when they used to have him visit) always had all 5 of the grandchildren at once (ages 7, 6, 4, 3, and my little one) in a two bedroom house so chaos was the norm. We asked them not to have all the kids over when they wanted the baby but invariably my BIL and SIL had some "function" they just HAD to attend that night...
    oh well, at least I get 4 good nights sleep a month.. lol.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 8:17 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• It sounds like he spends more time with his aunt and other people then with his mother. He feels at home with her.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 8:23 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Chrissy, I really don't think that's the case! I know a lot of mothers who's LOs don't sleep well at home, but they sleep great at the grandparents/aunts/etc. Maybe the just understand that Mommy is there to get them in the middle of the night.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 8:32 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I don't know if this is relevant at all, but we thought our oldest slept all night until we had him in the room with us at my grandmother's. Turns out he would wake up, sit up, and play quietly with whatever toy was in the crib, then go back to sleep. I wonder if this is happening with his aunt, that he wakes up and doesn't make enough noise to wake her up, but that Mom is more tuned in to him.

Answer by Bmat at 8:43 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Bmat - that's what DH thinks is happening. He'll sleep through any noise the baby makes, but I wake up at the slightest sound. He thinks my sister is probably sleeping through it also (unless he REALLY wakes up). He has his own room at our house but sleeps in a crib in my sister's room at her place.
    Ah, maybe I'm just old and don't need as much sleep anymore.. :-) I AM pushing 40...
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 9:03 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• She is probably running him around and making him mad tired. Does he take naps while he's with her? My son is 11 months old as well and whenever anyone takes him, he will sleep through the night. But with me he wakes up every 4 hrs and I have to give him his hug, passie and blankie before he'll fall back asleep. I thought I was doing something wrong. But I found out that nobody was making him take naps!
    MommaWoods

Answer by MommaWoods at 9:33 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• It could be a lot of things.... Does he nap well at your house (overtired babies often don't sleep well) maybe she doesn't wake up for the little stuff, maybe she feeds him at a different time before bed than you do, maybe the noise is different at her house than at yours, maybe not having other kids around at her house has him more relaxed during the day so he sleeps better at night, and the list goes on. You just never know.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 10:04 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• He knows mommy will come get him at all those whimpering cries, lol.

Moms, we always get the best tantrums, fits and sleep problems, because our babies know we love them and will always come a running!!

This too shall pass!
    Marti123

Answer by Marti123 at 11:33 PM on Jun. 27, 2009