3yr old wants to wear same clothes every day-HELP!

My 3yrs old son is on a kick of wearing the same outfit day in and day out. Its summer and HOT outside, clothes can't be smelling too good. He sweats when he out running around playing. I've tried hiding the clothes or telling them he just can't. He screams and cries until eventually I give into his demands. Yesterday I gave him a hair cut and he has little hairs in the collar of the shirt, he still wants to wear it. Its not even a fun character, just red and say GAP on it. Is this his way of having some control in his life?

hottie1060

Asked by hottie1060 at 8:43 AM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He is at the age he is starting to make decisions and yes,exercise a little control. I would throw the clothes in the washer at night while he is sleeping, at least that way they will be clean. Let him have his little phase, he will grow out of it.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:46 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Wash the clothes at night while he is in bed, or even when he is bathing. He should be able to change his underwear at the very least, since he will have it off for bathing and unless it is unusual underwear he won't know the difference. Perhaps during the day, you could tell him the outfit needs to be washed every day (or every other day) and he could pick when he wanted to help wash it, then he'd put his stuff in the washer, (plus whatever laundry you have) and the soap and watch the washer while it ran (I wouldn't show him how to turn it on) and then put his stuff in the dryer.

Answer by Bmat at 8:51 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Take him shopping and let him pick some things out on his own. You should only choose the size. Then he will want to wear all these new clothes he picked himself. Whenc he tries to wear that same old outfit remind him, oh look at this really cool shirt you picked!

Also wash the clothes and if it is in the laundry tell him it is there and has to be washed so he will have to pick something else until it is clean. Then actully make sure he picks something else himself.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 8:51 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• my little brother went through a phase like that. he wore the same elmo shirt and the same red shorts for months!! my mom used to take it off of him every night for bathtime and he'd sleep in underwear because he wouldnt wear anything else. she would wash it once he went to sleep and have it nice and clean for him the next day. eventually he got tired of it and started to wear other things.
    emmalouwho

Answer by emmalouwho at 10:43 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• My son went through the same phase around the same age and I just kept the clothes washed up , wasn't that big of a deal as I do laundry every night anyway. I think it's fairly normal for kids to go through this after all they are just now learning they have control in their life, as you said.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:44 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• My only son is three and he does the same thing except it's with pj tops. I know all about toddler sweat..very stinky. I usually give him a bath and have to hide his pj top. I pick my battles and don't find it a big deal anymore. I just have to be clever like putting a play shirt(he thinks is a pj top) on him at night after bath. Now he wants to hear bedtime stories about the tiny baby that was misbehaving and wouldn't put his soccer ball/baseball/ect. shirt on. Which I found funny because he does know what he's doing. He went through a no short sleeve shirt phase too where he wanted to just wear long sleeved shirts...well his favorites or no shirt at all. Now it's pj tops he wants to wear all the time.What's next??
    mkagdchcetdy

Answer by mkagdchcetdy at 6:44 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• ahh, just teach the whippersnapper how to turn his shirt and underpants inside out and they'll be good as new! lol.......
    Seriously, it's a stage. He will grow out of it. Yes, it is a form is exercising some control.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 AM on Jul. 1, 2009