Is it polite for us to wait until people leave on my daughter's birthday to open her gifts?

She is turning one in a month and I am having a party with about 30 people. I dont want to have to help her open 40 gifts in front of everyone and take all that time. Is it rude to just wait until the next day?

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 8:43 AM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• We always shoot the breeze for a bit while the kids play then open gifts and after that cake! Just make sure you have someone write down who gave what gift so when you send thank you cards you are including that.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:03 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I always like seeing my gifts opened. I like to see the kids reaction when she sees it. A lot of people spend a lot of time trying to figure out the perfect gift and may be disappointed that they don't get to be there when she opens it. I think that's sort of what people are expecting with a birthday party - food, gifts, cake. Just serve the cake while she's opening so people have something to do.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:51 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I would say yes, everyone that brings her a gift will want to see her open it and know that she liked it. Make the gift opening part of the party. "OK everyone, while you eat your cake and ice cream, we are going to open gifts so get your cameras out." Something like that. Have fun!
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:52 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• also your not guaranteed that she will get 40 gifts either. or if all 30 of the guest will show. So yes, it would be rude to not open the gifts infront of the people who did show and bring a gift.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 8:57 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• She should open them with the guests there. She might enjoy playing with the wrapping paper...lol...and everyone will get to snap photos of her. Besides, it's fun to see how a child and/or the parents react to the gift you chose for them.
    Arrange the party schedule so that there is enough time allotted for your daughter to open gifts with everyone there, is my advice.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:11 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• just because you invite.. 30 people doesn't mean you'll get 40 gifts lol. yes it would be rude
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 9:11 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Yes, it would be rude and your guests would be very disappointed.

At my DD 1 year old party she pooped out and had to be put down for a nap during the gift opening time. I let her young friends and cousins help her dad and I open the rest. Everyone seemed to enjoy that, but we only had family and very dear friends at her 1 year old party.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:42 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I love Thrivingmom's idea. If it gets to be too much for the baby to open all the presents, let the other children help. Yes the gifts should be opened in front of the guests. They went to the trouble to get the presents, and it is a let down to not see them opened.

Answer by Bmat at 10:31 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I wouldn't care a bit. I think parties where people open gifts are a drag. Everyone is having fun, then everything stops so gifts can be opened and people can "ooo" and "ahhh" over basic shit.
    "Ooo....a dress" "Ahh....a teddy bear". And don't even get me started on baby showers-- we are seriously cheering to watch someone open a diaper genie. ugg.

Anyhow, I know I am an odd duck and most women LOVE that part. You probably should open the gifts, but make it done as quickly as possible. The gifts from you and close friends/family can be opened if they see the baby early or late. Don't make people sit thru 40 gifts...a baby can't really get it anyway.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I don't know if a Long Island thing but people never open gifts in front of people unless its a shower. I find it disappointing. I love to watch kids open presents. They just throw them all in black bags and cart them off like booty.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:15 PM on Jun. 27, 2009