I have alot of back problems and discomfort sleeping...

I know how I should have my posture and I know that I sleep in bad positions but I always find myself slouching and sleeping odd right after I corrected myself! Any advice, at least how to soothe my back and shoulders?

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 8:48 AM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Health

• I just got out of Physical Therapy and they yelled at me for slouching. I got tired of hearing them say stand up straight, shoulders back and down, head back! They had me lie on my stomach putting arms out like superman. Lift one off the ground about 6 -8 inches then lower and do the other. Repeat 3 times. They also had me stand at an open door (or a corner) putting hands on each side of door facing (or one on each wall at the corner of the room) then lean in and hold 30 sec. Relax and repeat 3 times. If that hurts then relax your arms down by your side then pull your shoulders back stretching your arms behind you as far as they will go and hold up to 30 sec. Relax and repeat 3 times. I had to work on finding the right pillow as well as learn these exercises. It takes time to undo what we have spent years doing but what keeps me trying to fix things is that good posture makes bellies look flatter!

Answer by admckenzie at 9:26 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• i love my chiropractor!
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 8:53 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• For the slouch, help strengthen the muscles by standing against the wall, feet about 6 in. from the wall, bring your arms up, elbows shoulder height against the wall, press your hands back against the wall along with your shoulderblades flat against the wall, chin in. This is for the upper back. For the lower back, bend your knees a little if necessary and press and hold your lower back (or try) against the wall, tilting your pelvis under- this will help loosen tight lower back muscles and has actually taken me, over a year, from having lower back pain. During the day, when standing, pretend you have a hook attached to the back of your head and and pulling you up. Do this at specific times so you'll remember- say when you are pouring your coffee or opening the refrigerator door. When you are seated, practice the hook thing (more)

Answer by Bmat at 8:57 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• cont.
    as well as lift and roll your shoulders back and then down, bringing the shoulder blades together again. Sit up like this for a few minutes. Again do it at specific times so you'll remember- perhaps when commercials come on TV, or when you sit back down after a visit to the bathroom, or when you sit down to eat- some cue that will remind you. Exercises include strengthening the abs and standing and sitting tall. An exercise class would help, in general. I do not prescribe exercises, these are just what I do to help my back and my posture.

Answer by Bmat at 9:01 AM on Jun. 27, 2009