• In the Spotlight:

Moving into an apartment and allowing the baby to cry it out...

PREFACE!!! I AM NOT ASKING FOR YOUR OPINION ON ALLOWING OR NOT ALLOWING MY SON TO CRY IT OUT. ITS WHAT WORKS FOR US AND I DO NOT WANT AN ARGUMENT OVER IT. THANKS!
I haven't lived in an apartment since I had my son and I have been letting him cry it out at night in order for him to learn to not only self sooth but to fall asleep on his own. So far, its working.
But I know that it may take a few more weeks for him to fully grasp it. I know that my neighbor is going to hear at least some of it...
How can I go about it the respectful way? She has kids of her own so maybe she will understand. Has anyone else dealt with this?

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 9:16 AM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I can pretty well guarantee with the majority of apartments you will definitely be able to hear a baby's cries especially that horrible CIO cry. You know the one where they are crying for their life. Respect your neighbors, baby, and every motherly bone in your body and don't subject anyone to CIO. As the CPS worker stated. It is not a good idea if just for the basic guarantee of a CPS call from one or more of your new neighbors.  Good Luck and give the No Cry Sleep Solution a try.

Anonymous

• When we first moved into our apartment we did the same thing with our daughter. We lived with my fiance's parents before that and she slept with us. When we got our apartment she got her own room. She was I think 8 months then. The first couple nights I let her sleep with us because it was a new place. We saw our neighbors outside the day that we were going to start CIO. They have a baby a few months younger than my daughter. So we told them what we were doing. They said it was no big deal. Come to find out they didn't hear a thing. I was just worried that someone would think I was like beating her or something LOL. But it was alot easier than I thought. It only took 2 nights then she went to sleep on her own. After that she would not sleep with us at all. She just turned 2 and still won't sleep with us. She likes her space. Good luck!
    ameliasmama1

Answer by ameliasmama1 at 9:23 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• So far I have never had problems with my neighbors and my boys crying it out. It helps if they are parents that live next to you though. I'd just do it and if she complains then talk to her about it. But chances are, she won't even hear him.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:30 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I am a former CPS caseworker.

There are some people, disguised as friendly neighbors in our population, who basically have CPS on their speedial and will call for anything.

I, under no circumstances would allow my baby to cry it out if I was in an apartment or where someone could hear.

CPS wouldn't remove for this, but the investigation alone could be very traumatc. And, they could find another reason to remove such as lack of space in the apt, cleanliness, etc.

Unless you wouldn't mind having to defend yourself to CPS, I would not allow your baby to cry it out in an apt.

I am not against CIO, just wouldn't do it if someone could hear for this reason. (The same reason why I don't spank in public.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Unless you're moving into an apartment with cardboard for walls, I don't think there would be a problem. I lived in an apartment with a young baby on the other side of me and I never heard her crying.
    Anonymous