Toddler peeing the bed?

My 3 1/2 year old girl hasnt worn diapers in a very long time.. She has been wearing pullups to bed because she cant hold it through the night. We have been trying to break her from this habit but she pees the bed every night. I make her try to pee before she goes to bed. I dont give her anything to drink about about hour or so before. Anyone have any tricks to get her out of pull ups. Im have a baby in the next couple of weeks so im working hard to get her out of pull ups. THANKS!??????????????????????

BallardMomma

Asked by BallardMomma at 10:16 AM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I wondered the same thing with my 2.5 year old. She has been day trained now for almost 6 months, but most of the time she naps and definitely everytime she sleeps at night she always pees. I asked this question about a month ago, when should I take away the diapers at night, and someone said when she starts waking up dry. Also, getting her up in the middle of the night to pee might help too.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:43 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Moms, kids bladders dont grow as fast as they do, most of the time its a physical thing and they CAN NOT HELP IT! So, with that being said, work on it some, buy pullups, and be patient.

I ask my pediatrician this one time and he said they dont even start to worry about kids peeing in their sleep until about 6 or older.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:47 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I kinda had this problem with my son, we bought him pull-ups thinkin it will help but he still did his deeds in there, so I told him no this is big boy underwear but he knew it was not . So I stop buyin pull-ups becuz they really do remind me of diapers so I got him underwear. I think you should get her underwear and b4 she goes to bed take her to the bathroom like you have been doing or you could do what my friend did she had her daughter wear nothing to bed lolz
    effie777

Answer by effie777 at 10:51 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Buy thick training pants. Pull ups just remind them of diapers. DD has been potty trained for almost a year and hasn't worn diapers to bed since she was 10 months old (she's 2 1/2 years old). BUT when she goes to daycare most kids are still in diapers / pull ups and so she begs for them! It seriously irritates me. She always has accidents when she goes to daycare.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Bedwetting (also called nighttime or nocturnal enuresis) is a common childhood problem. A child learns to control daytime urination as they become aware of their bladder filling. Once this occurs, the child then learns to consciously control and coordinate the contraction and relaxation of their bladder muscle. This generally occurs by four years of age. Control of nighttime bladder function usually takes longer, and is not expected until a child is between five and seven years old.

The number of children with bedwetting varies by age; at five years of age, 16 percent of children have some difficulty staying dry at night. By 15 years of age, only one to two percent continue to wet the bed. Boys are twice as likely to experience bedwetting.

For most children, bedwetting resolves on its own without treatment.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:59 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• The causes of primary nocturnal enuresis can be related to one or more of the following:

* Delayed bladder maturation
    * Small bladder capacity
    * Genetics; parents who had enuresis as children are more likely to have children with enuresis
    * Diminished levels of vasopressin (a hormone that reduces urine production)
    * Deep sleep that prevents a child from sensing bladder fullness
    mom2twobabes

• My 7 1/2 yo still wets the bed. She still wears pull-ups. Our now 5+ yo trained herself overnight when she realized that was an option- at about 3...
    I wet the bed until 7... I didn't have pull-ups way back then and so had a big incentive to really try and stop.
    My oldest still can't wake up to go. I tried all of the various tricks and have decided to let her body do it when she is ready. I am not going to be around always to wake her up- she needs to learn that on her own. There is no delay in a child at 3+ still needing help at night. Our ped is not even concerned about our 7 yo... Relax momma- it will happen when it is supposed to!!
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 11:11 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• She's only 3, give her a break. It's normal to wet the bed until kids are 7/8 years old.
    Just buy stock in Pull-ups and wait it out. If she's not holding it all night by 8 then talk to the doctor.
    I've had 2 bed wetters and our doctor wouldn't even consider any other medical problems until they were 8. My son is 7 1/2 and finally stopped wetting the bed last summer at 6. He still has occasional accidents but gets better every month.
    My 6 1/2yo daughter still wets the bed almost every night and HAS to wear pull-ups. She's such a sound sleeper she just doesn't wake up when she has to go. There's nothing she can do about it.
    I also had 2 that never wet the bed. My oldest and youngest stopped wearing diapers to bed as soon as they were potty trained (at 3 for my oldest and 2 1/2 for my youngest).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:21 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• My niece is 8 and still weaqrs a pull-up. The doctor would not see her until she was 7 to discuss there might be a problem, even though her brother had same problem. Both had to have medication. Not sure what the actual dx was. Really glad none of my kids had this problem! My youngest is 3.5, and has not wet the bed but 2x since potty trained at a little before 2 yrs. Good luck momma, hope it happens for her soon, but every child is different!
    texanmommy

Answer by texanmommy at 11:47 AM on Jun. 27, 2009