What's the significance of renewing your vows?

It seems quite of few of us on here are planning our renewal 5-20 years down the road. I thought renewing your vows was only significant when your marriage almost fails. Soo...Are we planning a failure? Or just the idea of a second "wedding" type to the same guy seem appealing?

Know what I'm saying?

rlemde

Asked by rlemde at 10:52 AM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Relationships

• My husband and i have always planned on renewing our vows at 5 years because we really didnt have a wedding and we want our familys to be able to be there this time and now it means even more to us since we almost got divorced at one point and since then our marraige had been better then ever.
    mommadent

Answer by mommadent at 10:54 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I think renewing vows is a great idea. It goes with my idea of marriage should be a contract renewable every five years. If you still want to be with them then sign up for another 5 yrs (or just renew the vows). I like it. I have no idea where you got that it is associated with failure. Why would anyone want to renew something that was destined for failure? Each vow renewal shows they are still in it for the long haul. I'm not in to marriage anymore but respect those who are. I do believe in long term relationships. If it's strong and right for you then renew by all means.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:16 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• My husband and I plan on renewing our vows the end of this summer. Its more of a renewed commitment to each other. I guess its a way of saying after all these years, we are still in love and still committed.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 11:25 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• It's romantic and a way to have a big celebration and party.

My husband and I have never felt the need or inclination to do this, but we are very private people and prefer to not be the center of attention. :)

Answer by Bmat at 11:34 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• We're doing it because our wedding sucked. It was just horrible. So I want to have the wedding I wanted and was denied and hubby has promised it to me. So for our probably 20th anniversary I shall get it.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:13 PM on Jun. 27, 2009