Y Does my 6yr old want to wear the SAME clothes EVERYDAY!!!

I went n bought my lil girl TONS of clothes 4 school. She only wore maybe 2 outfits. However, She would NEVER wear pants: even when it was FREEZING cold. She was and still is, stuck on 2 certain pairs of undies, 2 certain skirts, n certain shirts. (Of course i wash them EVERY NIGHT! UG.......) But seriously, no matter how many times we go shoppin to pick out new clothes: she wont wear the new ones and only her two fav outfits. Why is this???? Does anyone elses kids do this???? Any suggestions on how to get her into something else besides her swimsuit n her to fav outfits. Ive even went out n bought the same outfits cause her undies were gettin holes in them. lol
Serious here!!

SylviasMommy

Asked by SylviasMommy at 11:01 AM on Jun. 27, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I disagree with the first poster. Why traumatize a child over bullying her into wearing something she doesn't like? The child wants a loving mom not a terrorizing bully who is a control freak.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:07 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• See, I am a MEAN momma,lol, and the words "my 6 year old WONT" will never come outta my mouth.

She's 6, dont give her an option, lay out two sets of cloths on the bed that you pick out, then tell her, you get to pick this outfit or this one. And thats it, no more discussion, if she goes into melt down, let her, she will eventually recover.

I think people are too lenient with children and give too much adult freedoms, like deciding they want to wear the same underwear and pants all the time.

Like I said, I'm a MEAN momma! ;) lol
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:04 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Learn from this and quit wasting money. Let her pick out her fav outfits and maybe buy the same outfit in different colors. Many kids like just a few outfits and are comfortable with those. Just buy more than one of the same thing once she finds what she likes. Nothing wrong with that and if she doesn't like pants then so be it. I think she's perfectly normal.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:05 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Thanks Admckenzie!
    Seriously, Im NOT gonna MAKE her decide on 2 outfits. Right now: its Summer, n she wants to wear her swimmingsuit all day: i don't blame her: i would too! lol
    However, its nice to know that other mommys are not as strict as i am.
    My daugher is the BEST behaved lil girl ever, but she has her moments: however, Im not ever gonna make her DO SOMETHING SHE DOESNT WANT TO!
    SylviasMommy

Answer by SylviasMommy at 11:14 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Thanks Admckenzie!

Just curious, what are you going to do when she doesn't want to take a bath, or doesn't want to come home on curfew? I agree the Mom above is a little strict, but seriously, you have to set some limits. Letting your child walk all over you is NOT being a loving parent. She needs to know she is NOT your Mom or boss. It's summer, let her wear what she wants as long as you are home, when school starts, that will be a whole different story. Good luck!
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 11:26 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Ok you made no sense, you were complaining about how she wouldnt wear anything eles, asking for advice on how to get her in something else. You asked for advice....what you really wanted was someone to tell you you were doing a great job and your dd is fine to pick out her whole things.

Your statement "I am not gonna make her do something she does not want to do"

Hilarious, that is why kids walk all over parents and parents wonder why....I am laughing now....lol

When school time hits and she wants to wear her bathing suit......good luck.....if thats what she wants to do....then bow down mommy and allow the princess to swim to school.....hilarious.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:43 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Thanks Admckenzie!

So why did you ask the question on how to get her to wear other things?
    Anonymous

• WOW! Seriously....some mommys on here are really "out there". Come on girls! Yeah, i was asking for advice: However, Like i said : it is summer, and the whole bathing suit statement was purely because .....well....its summer and all we do is hit the lake.
    However: when school comes: Of course Im not gonna "bow down to the princess and let her swim her way to school." Get real people!
    Yeah, I was asking for advice as to how to get her to wear other things.....but I think that the idea of buying same outfits in different colors is WAY better than the advise of forcing my child to wear something she doesn't want to. ITS CALLED LETTING YOUR CHILD BE INDEPENDANT!!!!!! She has a personality and will grow up to HATE me if I make her wear and act certain ways!!!!!

SylviasMommy

Answer by SylviasMommy at 10:18 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Yes, letting them be independent by giving them a simple choice and letting them pick. Why is that so horrible, you make it sound as if I abuse my child by FORCING them to wear cloths....like I hold them down and sit on top or something......I am the parent, I call the shots....not my 6 year old.....sorry if that offends you....

She has a personality and will grow up to HATE me if I make her wear and act certain ways!!!!!

This statment sounds as if you are trying to earn her love by allowing her to do as she pleases.....that usually backfires.   

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:41 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I think its funny you find me "out there" b/c I find your ideas "out there". You are the exact opposite of the parent I strive to be. I set a path for my kids to follow, not a free for all.

I do expect my kids to wear certain things and act a certain way.....for instance, we dont wear skimpy clothing, even if my dd wants to.....we also, dont allow cursing or rude behavior in public. WHAT A TERRIBLE mom I am, hope my kids dont hate me.....blahhh..

mom2twobabes