Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do i go about changing my son's last name to my last name?

my son is going to be 11 yrs old in a few months. he has not seen his father in over 9 yrs. his father did however sign the birth certificate when our son was born which gave robby his last name. i know i need to go to a lawyer for it to be legal but how much of a hassle would it be to do it?


Asked by karen3177 at 11:26 AM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (3)
  • My son's father signed the birth certificate and my son has my last name. Just because a father signs the birth certificate doesn't mean they have rights or the child has to have the father's last name. Contact an attorney, name changes are expensive and you may need the father's permission.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:09 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

  • That depends on the lawyer and the biological father. He will have to give up his rights, I would think.

    Answer by kustomkrochet at 11:32 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

  • Yum yes if the father signs he has the rights of a father

     Even if the father signs the baby could still have your last name or any last name you want to give them T

    alk to a lawyer


    Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Jun. 27, 2009