How can the Book of Mormon use the word 'bible'?

The Bible was not called the Bible until well into the first millennium of the Church and the Book of Mormon was supposedly written between 559 and 545 BC. Did they know of the word before it was invented?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 11:59 AM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well, I personally don't think that Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon from sacred texts. No offense . . . If I did believe that I would be a mormon. But I don't think that the sacred texts included the word Bible in them, because I don't think they existed in the first place. I think the fact that they claim that the word Bible is in them is kinda proof that Joseph Smith wrote them himself.

I also don't believe that the Jaredites, Nephites and Lamanites were historically a group of people and I don't believe that the angel Moroni was a messenger of God. So I personally don't think whether the word "Bible" was used in the sacred texts in 559 BC in a language that had to be translated into English is that big of a deal. Either way Joseph Smith wrote the word Bible down in English.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 4:27 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Where did you get that the book of mormon was written then?
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 12:03 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I'm sort of confused as to what you are asking. Are you referring to the word bible being used in the Book of Mormon and could you give me the place that occurs.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 12:04 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Never mind, I looked it up. I read that it was written around the time you stated, but it wasn't published until 1830, when Joseph Smith translated the gold plates he supposedly found, so by that time the word "Bible" was being used, yes?
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 12:07 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• THE SECOND BOOK OF NEPHI CHAPTER 29

And yes I'm saying the word bible is in the book of mormon which was supposedly written way before the word bible was attached to the actual Bible.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 12:07 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• And actually some parts in the BOM take place from 2500 years BC all the way to 421 AD.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 12:08 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Yep you're right, by then the word Bible was being used and I'm guessing that in translation the word Bible was appropriate because people knew what it meant.

Now that takes believing that the BOM is indeed God inspired and that God of course knew that there would be a Bible, If you look in the footnotes of the chapter you referred to, it refers you back to 1st Nephi Chapter 13 Verse 24. Where it says:

And the angel of the Lord said unto me: Thou hast beheld that the book proceeded forth from the mouth of a Jew; and when it proceeded forth from the mouth of a Jew it contained the fulness of the gospel of the Lord, of whom the 12 apostles bear record; and they bear record according to the truth which is in the Lamb of God.

Just another reference to the knowledge there would be a bible.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 12:24 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• ...the point being.........that yes, The BOM was written way back before the word BIBLE existed, but there was knowledge there would be a bible and it was referred to. Then in translation J.S. used the word bible- because that is what it referred to.

Sorry, got confused up there as to the OP was! LOL! I thought it was whittear for a minute. Also, I wasn't disputing you originally, I just wanted to make sure I understood and where it was.

: )
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 12:33 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Anyone can use the word Bible in their religion.The word Bible means, a spiritual book that talks about God and religion.Now Christianity is the first relegion that started the word Bible and it even says the word Bible in their Bible.Christianity is more of a relationship with God than a relgion,alot of religions is man trying to be his own god,such as Mormonism.Many religions will use the word Bible to say that their Bible is like Christianity's Bible but it is not.So when you go to a Mormon church and they have a Bible,you automatically think that's a Christian Bible and it's not.Whatever is in the Mormon Bible is not in the Christian Bible,they may say some things like it but if you read the whole book you'll see the message is entirely different.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 12:50 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• countingsparows,

It's the fact that the word was translated from 'ancient tablets' and put into the Book of Mormon way before that word EVER EXISTED. I'm not disputing the fact that other religions use the word bible...
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 12:54 PM on Jun. 27, 2009