is there something wrong with my son?

my son turned 2 a month ago, he says a few words but not many,
he is really active and social and laughs and plays and understands if u ask him to do something (kick the ball, wheres your nose? etc) but he still isnt talking.
his doctor wants me to have him examined but i think she is jumping the gun a bit and i dont feel hes ready yet, he is stubborn so i think he just wants to wait untill he is ready, what do you think? she says hes not autistic or anything, the words he says most are dog, ball, mama, hot , car and he said bob once for spongebob lol

bradynsmom222

Asked by bradynsmom222 at 12:15 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• From my experience I have 7 kids my boys talked later I would worry yet

abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 12:21 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I have a friend who went through something similiar. At her 2nd bday her dd wasn't saying much at all (just a few words). She was worried so she enrolled her in a daycare for two days a week at her doc's suggestion. The stimulus of being around a lot of kids her own age (she is the only baby at home) seemed to encourage her to talk more, and soon after she was talking like crazy! It just may be that he doesn't "have" to talk to communicate, and therefore doesn't. It doesn't necessarily mean there is anything wrong, just that he is comfortable with the communication he has. You might could also start playing the "What's that?" game with him, encouraging him to say more things. Either way though, children progress at different speeds and there is no real way to "push" the issue! You may wake up a month from now to him forming full sentences lol!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 12:24 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Around here our county has a free early intervention program which will provide therapists that come to your home and give you suggestions on how to help them develop further. Its not really a pressure thing or that anything is wrong, but more another set of eyes to make sure nothing is wrong. I liked it because my son got at least an hour of one on one time with a proffessional who could not only reassure me, but was able to evaluate him in-depth. The pedi only sees him occasionally.. It never hurts to make sure everything is ok.
    wanderingmuse

Answer by wanderingmuse at 12:39 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• yes my oldest was the same way. He was the only one for 2 years then his baby sister didnt' talk to him either. As long as they understand what you are saying then there really is not a problem. Having them around other kids does help. Also make sure you are trying to get him to name certain things when he wants them. Not just point and grunt. Also by 2 children should be able to follow 2 step directions. If he is able to do this i wouldn't be worried all kids are different he will talk when he is ready. I did hear once when i was younger that children who talk late are more intelligent. Don't know how true it is.
    jmann83

Answer by jmann83 at 12:42 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• my nephew (who is now 3 1/2) barely talked when he turned 2. he was almost 3 by the time he started saying words, and now he is just non stop talking, just like any regular child (most people actually think he's 5 when they first meet him).
    DreaKevAiyana

Answer by DreaKevAiyana at 2:47 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• In our state WV, there is a Birth to Three program. If your child qualifies, a speech therapist will come to your house to do therapy and give you ideas on increasing his speech. Does your child have ear infections often or fluid in the ear often? If he does, then he may be missing out on the conversational speech of other adults and children. This will delay his speech also. If he is getting frustrated by not being able to communicate, then you can teach him some simple signs. Ex. more, yes, no, eat, drink, cookie,etc.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 4:07 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• My son is the same way...yet he is only 16 months...but I wouldn't worry about it. Like your son he is very smart and understands what I'm saying, he's just very stubborn about it. My mom told me boys usually talk later. I know a mom who went through the same thing with her daughter and she said you have to kind of make them talk. She said when her daughter would whine or cry - even though she KNEW what she wanted, she would make her daughter TELL her what she wanted. Like, you know he's thirsty, but you need him to say "drink" or "milk" or whatever. Let them through their temper tantrum if they don't get what they want from whining. It worked for her!!
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 8:00 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• an evaluation won't hurt, and if there is an issue, early intervention is always best.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:40 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I wouldn't worry, but I would have him evaluated.
    Marti123

Answer by Marti123 at 10:56 PM on Jun. 27, 2009