Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

would the governmet help me out?

I am 20 yrs old single mother of an almost 1 yr old daughter. i live with my mom but lately shes been acting bitchy like she doesn't want me here no more & i want to move out, the problem is i have nowhere to go, no job, im in cosmetology school, financial aid is helping me there but i have to give $100 per month. my mom was taking care of that. what can i do? i know get a job but if i do i wouldn't be able to see my daughter at all. I go to school at night. Do you think the government will help me out by providing me with like housing & help me pay for school? I don't want child support i don't want nothing from my daughters bastard father i want nothing from him, plus i don't even think he has a job. What can i do?

Answer Question

Asked by _LAMORENA_ at 12:42 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • Always know that nothing is permanent or forever. Go to your local public assistance office and tell them everything you've said here. Ask more for their guidance than just a handout. They'll appreciate your wanting to move forward in life. They'll tell you all that you qualify for, and also suggest you get a job. They will help with child care costs. Do this just until you finish school...remember it's not forever. Then you'll be in a regular job with regular hours.

    Answer by EireLass at 12:46 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

  • well anytime you get on any type of government assistance, they are automatically going to go after your child's father for child support unless you are still married to him. You need to be collecting child support anyway. Just because you don't like him doesn't mean he should get a free pass && not have to take care of his responsibilities.

    Answer by HisMommySince07 at 12:46 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

  • i;m now 22 but my son was born when I was 18. I went straight from high school into college like planed and have lived on my own pretty much since I was much younger then 18. I receive scholarships based on my grades, grants because of my low income, and some student loans. I also receive free daycare because of a non-profit organization in my local city. It's a free daycare for single moms going to school, not free daycare through the county like many are thinking. Look into any daycare programs like the one my son attends called " mom's house" but if you don't have any in your area then the jfs in your area will offer help with daycare. They can also help with housing, although avoid section 8 if you can. They can help you find a job, and like someone said they will force the father to start paying whether you want it or not. You qualify for more financial aid if your considered independent, as in not living with family.cont

    Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 1:20 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

  • You can also qualify for food stamps, and cash assistance... When you are a single mother in school trying to better yourself people are more willing to help. I still find people judge me for being on public assistance, but I'm 10 months shy of graduating with my bachelors degree in special ed. and that public assistance is what kept me going to school. I haven't paid a dime for my schooling and will only graduate with 12,000 in loans, with 5 years of college. Your plenty capable of moving out, you just have to believe in yourself, and I know it seems like you'll never see your child, but I have always gone to school full time and worked part time and I've never missed any milestone in my sons life, and have always been there for him when needed. Its not easy, there have been lots of sleepless nights, but anyone can do it if they just take that first leap. Good Luck!

    Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 1:25 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

  • For your sake you may wan to just 'suck it up' and wait it out 'til you graduate. It sounds like you are just tired of being in your moms house but she does seem to be doing a lot for you paying you and your child room and board, meals and your school. I understand feeling like you would never see your child but you could get a part time job 2-3 days a week just to contribute to the household. If you can stick it out do it for your sake and your daughters. As soon as you are done with school get a full time job and move out then. don't stay longer than you need to but by all means if she is still willing to help you you should be willing to take what ever she dishes out until the time comes that you can take care of yourself and your child in the most successful way you can... You are on the right track by going to school you just need to be patient.

    Answer by But_Mommie at 1:43 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

  • yes, sign up for Section 8 housing and all the govt will give you and DO get child support bc that is your child's money not yours. If you don't want it then put it in the bank for her when she grows up to buy her a car or a down payment on a house or wedding or a trip to Europe before college, whatever.

    Answer by admckenzie at 2:14 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

  • There are some things but housing is not easy to get into. They are overloaded everywhere and it isn't free. Go sign up and get on the waiting list. . Find someone who needs a housemate and hope that you will get enough aid to Pay for that and food.

    Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:35 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.