• In the Spotlight:

Anyone's child(ren) own a learning laptop and what did you think?

My son will be 1 month shy of his 4th birthday at christmas. He's been asking for his own computer for almost a year now so I'm thinking about getting him one for christmas. I found a Thomas the Train one at toys r us that looked like a possibility. My question is do any of your children own one of these laptops, did they play with it, and what's your opinion, good toy or waste of money. Also if you could tell me which laptop you own good or bad reviews. I'm not necessarily going for educational value, thats always a plus, I just want something thats fun, full of music, and durable as my son is a very active boy, always on the move and frequently dropping toys.
Thanks for your input!!!

ba13ygrl1987

Asked by ba13ygrl1987 at 12:50 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• A laptop simulated toy. Not a real one. I would buy a laptop for no younger than a preteen.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 12:59 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• uh, maybe that wasn't clear? but I meant like a toy one... they don't make thomas the train real computers, its a plastic one at toys r us. Not to mention real laptops are not durable with a 4 year old, but thanks for helping me clear up the confusion in my question!
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 1:03 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• My daughter has a Vtech learning one. She loves it. The have quite a few games and activities on it. We bought it at Wal-Mart for about $20. Also, when my husband got a new laptop she got his old one and we bought a bunch og fun educational games for her to play on it. Reason being, when she started speech theropy at the local elementry school when she was 3, the teacher said she wasn't "expereienced" enough with the computer/mouse. I was like she's only 3 she said most 3 year old she taught are very good with computer games and coloring. So, I don't know if you let him or not but I would definitly let him have time on a real computer/mouse too. My daughter is now 4 and is excellent with a computer.
    HannahLee87

Answer by HannahLee87 at 1:25 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I looked at something like that at TRU once but they're not worth it IMO. The screens are terrible and the games kinda suck. If it's the Thomas one I looked at there are a lot of Thomas themed things like remembering engine names but nothing really useful.

My guy will be 4 in September and he currently has the VTech system with the keyboard that hooks up to an old TV. That's good for learning mouse control and letter recognition, big kid friendly buttons. He also has an iBook, my old one, that he uses for accessing websites like PBSkids and a couple of games that he has that are designed for preschoolers. He's incredibly computer savvy, I think our biggest problem is that he's way better with a trackpad than a mouse at this point so using a desktop is an issue.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 3:07 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• My son received one as a gift for his b-day and he loves it. He's three and it's a vtech Tote&Go Laptop Plus. He already has some of the settings memorized and loves the music settings on it. He sets it up for music and does a little dance. Still thanking my niece who brought it for him because he loves it so much. I would highly recommend one.
    mkagdchcetdy

Answer by mkagdchcetdy at 6:31 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• My son got one last Christmas when he was 3 1/2. It's probably a lot like what you are looking at, his is Spiderman. There are a lot of educational type games on it. It amazes me what he has actually learned from it, like opposites. He can come up with the opposite of anything that you throw at him now. He uses it quite frequently, especially in the car. It has different "zones" like game zone and learning zone, so he can pick what he wants to do on it. I got it on sale, it was $20 instead of $30 or $40 (I can't remember the exact original price). So I definitely think that this was worthwhile for us.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:31 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• my step daughter(4) and my nephew(3) both have one...my step daughter was actually 2 1/2 when she got hers cause she is very advanced for her age...and my nephew got one at 2...they help them more then a lot of people think...a great investment!!!!!
    krystalmarie857

Answer by krystalmarie857 at 5:02 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• My 2 year old has had one for a year now.
    Anonymous