does anyone own.....

does anyone own a english bulldog? are they good pets to have? what can you tell me about having one and what its like to take care of it. and is it a good pet for kids? i was jus wondering cuz i went to the pet store and i wouldve never in my life thought i would,but i absolutely fell in love with this bulldog and i want one so bad. i need info so i can make a good debate on my behalf of why we should get it lol.

kuuipo317

Asked by kuuipo317 at 12:55 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Pets

• I have a lovely English bullie...her name is Katie-Belle...you can see pics of her on my profile. She is NOT lazy...LOL! She's about 2 1/2 and she will play as long we are willing to play with her. The trick is to make sure they stay active from puppy-hood on up. My kids were 12, 7, and almost 1 when we got her and she's been great with them. She's just as happy to relax as she is to play fetch. She doesn't really tolerate heat that well so she stays inside except mostly to potty...at least during the summer.

She is expensive to maintain...we have her on a breed specific food for her digestive and skin health. She also chews... A LOT! She chews everything! LOL! Shoes, toys, the baby's sippy cups, she's eaten 2 cell phones, countless pairs of sunglasses and action figures and I lost count of the number of Barbie's she be-headed. We just clean up the mess and remind the kids to pick up their things...again. LOL!
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 7:21 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I want one, but I can't afford the price tag they have. I researched them like crazy a few years back. I've heard nothing but great things about them with kids. They're indoor dogs, most are pretty lazy for most of the day, but they still need play time every day. You can't take them on long walks because they tire easily, but they love to play. The only problem I saw with them is the drool factor. Most don't drool as bad as their reputation, but some really have issues with drool. Also, because their faces are so flat, sometimes as they get older they have breathing problems.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 1:08 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• thats sad about the breathing prob. and i have heard about the drooling. and its ok if they're lazy i heard about that too but really i always wanted a dog that can lay down by your side when you want it to and be a lil playful but not too rowdy cuz i have a lil girl and dont want a dog thats gonna be jumpin all over her. thanks for the input!
    kuuipo317

Answer by kuuipo317 at 1:10 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• They are awesome dogs, BUT....they are expensive. If you're purely wanting a pet then they are less expensive, but if you're even thinking about breeding be prepared to spend a fortune. Please see if you can get one from a breeder though and not the pet store. You may be okay, but I wouldn't buy such an expensive dog with a list of possible health problems from a store.

http://engbulldogs.com/bulldog%20health.htm - check this out and do more searches too!

If you go to a breeder you'll know the dogs "family" health history. And a lot of times a breeder will give you a price break if you are just wanting a pet and not a dog to breed.

If you are wanting to breed...they can't breed on thier own because of thier build and have to be artifically inseminated. The female should also not give birth for the same reason. They have to be taken caeserean from what I understand.

Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 1:32 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• thank you so much for you input and no im not looking to breed i jus really really want an english bulldog they are too freakin cute and i think would be perfect for my daughter cuz i heard they're lazy and thats perfect cuz then i wouldnt have to worry bout it jumpin all over her (she's gonna be 2) and really i jus want one soooo bad i fell in love with one at the pet store but i TOTALLy know what you mean about them not bein healthy and not havin as much info. thanks again
    kuuipo317

Answer by kuuipo317 at 2:02 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Everything the pps have said are true. Almost every bulldog that has come through the kennel I work at has some kind of skin allergy and is either on medication or a special expensive diet, so that is something to think about as well.
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 3:11 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• they ca bec ome obsessive, stubborn and powerful dogs. they can be a handful so do real good research to make sure that your confident that your a good pack leader in being able to control a dog like this cause it's no fun when you feel burdened with a dog that is out of control. they also can have a lot of health issues. they can't have puppies without c-section.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 5:49 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Bulldogs are not lazy. They are amazingly high energy for their build and have a tendency to be very careless about how they throw their weight around. I have a friend who breeds them for show, and I've yet to see one that didn't almost to knock you down to climb all over you when it was excited to see you. They don't have a lot of self control or a very big attention span when it comes to listening to you. So I'm not sure I'd recommend one for a small child.

They also cannot tolerate temperatures over 80 degrees without a very high risk for heat stroke. I had a neighbor at the beach take his out for a walk on the beach on a nice breezy day, but the sun was shining. The dog died of heat stroke that night at the hospital.

Spend some time around an adult Bulldog to see if you can tolerate their energy level before getting one. Just call a local breeder and arrange a visit to see the dogs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:06 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• However, we love her. She's been a huge comfort to me the last year or so. I have Lupus and so I spend quite a bit of time in bed being sick and she's always happy to jump up in bed and just lay there and nap with me.

She doesn't drool...at all. Look for one with a more prominent nasal snout as that will help with any breathing problems. The breathing problems come into play when you get one with a really flat nose.

Just make sure you have a good vet and you are able to take your bullie to the vet when they need it since those skin problems can creep up on you without notice. Good luck! PM me if you have any questions!
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 7:25 PM on Jul. 2, 2009