What to do with a very intellgent 19 month old on a rainy day?

OK so where I live it has been raining like everyday this week and my poor dd is stuck in the house. She is 19 months old but umm I guess I would say very intelligent for her age so normal 19 month old stuff keeps her busy for MAYBE 10 mins if that. So I have no clue what to do with her. Today before the rain started we went to the library and I told her we would go back after lunch but then when we got home it started to rain. I do not drive so we walked and now we can't go back. We have read all of her books and well there isn't much else to do right now except having her in her room where she is now playing by herself with her toys but I want to like interact with her more she just seems to not really want to I think because I can't think of anything really fun to do. So anyone have any ideas?

delilahsmom1177

Asked by delilahsmom1177 at 1:00 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Print some worksheets off the internet. Things like letter recognition and stuff like that. If she knows her numbers maybe a connect the dot. My ds loved doing mazes at that age.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 1:23 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Aquadoodle and ask them to draw you shapes and letters.

baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 1:31 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• play computer games
    look at things with magnifine glass
    sort things
    find things
    discover things
    biuld a fort
    go on a rain walk
    draw pictures
    let her lead
    myscreamer

Answer by myscreamer at 2:26 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• read books
    color/draw
    dot-to-dot sheets
    sing songs
    play pretend

depending on how messy you want to get, you could do finger paints
    cook - brownies, cookies, rice krispie treats

BeautifulMomof1

Answer by BeautifulMomof1 at 5:13 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Get our of the house (unless there is thunder and lightening). My daughter loved walking in the rain at that age.

What do the birds do in the rain? Are there any worm to look at? How is the sky different in the rain?

Answer by rkoloms at 9:39 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Paint, let her "swim" in the tub, fill a basin with water and let her play in the kitchen/linoleum with that, make play dough, flash cards...
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 10:47 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• When the weather was not cooperating, I would have to get creative and organized with my three young sons. I would read a story to them and then do a craft that tied in with it. For example, if we read a book about plants, afterwards, I would spread out the newspaper and have them plant seeds in egg cartons.....If we read something with trolls or monsters--I would then pull out the odds and ends (beads, sequins, construction paper, etc) and have them create a silly monster face on a paper plate. Cooking is another option. Kids love to help and learn in the kitchen. There are many great books with ideas at the library. (Look in the early education center or ask where the teachers manuals would be located). Don't forget about play dough, building blocks, coloring books, cut out paper dolls etc) You will be amazed how fast the morning goes when your little one is busy and not bored. Good luck hope this helps

Mamabearisback

Answer by Mamabearisback at 10:13 AM on Jun. 30, 2009