• In the Spotlight:

What green fuel source exists

that can generate enough power to melt iron and create steel? I keep reading "they'll just have to change." I'd like to know what exactly they are supposed to change to. The temp to melt iron is in the neighborhood of 2700 degrees. Exactly how many solar panels or wind farms would it take to generate that heat for a full day? How about a full year? And at multiple locations? And keep in mind, these steel mills are in places with mostly cloudy weather and lots of hills and valleys so there is no consistent wind in most places. And btw, you don't just have to run the furnace, you also have to run all the ancillary equipment, including the 30 foot cranes that move it from step to step.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 1:11 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Oh! I know...we set up really big magnifying lenses and direct the rays of the sun to wherever energy generators are located!!! Problem solved! LOL

just kidding! :oP
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:26 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I dunno....maybe molten lava can be harnessed (before it cools)?!?!?!? LOL :o)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:18 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• good one lorikeet!!
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 1:24 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I know there is a car that runs on hemp oil but I don't know if it could manage a steel mill. Forgive my ignorance but what do they use to fuel them now?

Friday

Answer by Friday at 1:43 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• coal
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:47 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• It has to be able to do this:

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:55 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• This is an excellent question OP! It is quite obvious our government has once again NOT thought something through.

I am sorry that I don't have an answer to the question.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:36 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• what does that notpanniicking is called foundry coke. It is usually purchased from--you guessed it. CHINA. regular coal does not burn hot enough.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 2:44 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• This bill that the house passed says they must have cut carbon emissions by 80% by 2020. They have no earthly idea what that entails or even if it is possible. I think probably not unless we ban half of all the enterprises in existance.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:06 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Did you know that at the same time they are feeding us this Cap and Trade bullshit, they are feeding the people in poor countries who depend on coal and steel industries the "peasant life is a good life" bunch of crap. Cap and Trade is NOT just going to effect the U.S. Yes, they actually are trying to convince these people of the fact that giving up their only industry is not only necessary, but will be good for the people and the environment. Sounds like complete poverty enslavement to me. These are people who have worked hard to raise themselves up from poverty (and still do not even come close to the U.S. economy), but because there is no way their industries will be able to purchase permits this will open the door for big corporations to buy up smaller businesses. Control the people, monopolize the industry, reap the profits--this is what Cap and Trade is really all about.

Anonymous