I need a better alternative.

Something is eating my plants! I think it's ants, but I can't be sure. I want to spray them with something, but I have a puppy and a baby that likes to explore the entire back yard. What is a safe (maybe homemade) alternative? I've heard Something about borax, but I don't remember what exactly. Any help would be appreciated.

Rebecca7708

Asked by Rebecca7708 at 1:19 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Home & Garden

• borax and sugar combo, but its not really safe for kids if they eat but they can be around it. but i have noticed it i dont have as mnay, but i still have some. but mine are in the house. i also dumped borax on the ants hill outside, idk if it killed them or not.

ive also noticed that if you go to yahoo (the search engine) on the left hand side of the homepage there is a list of links. click the answers tab. they do the same thing with questions there. so just type in ants to search and you will get tons of of others people questions about them and you can read those answers. There's A LOT more then on here. I read a ton of different ways to get rid of them there, taht you can try too...or i guess you can ask your own question. Good Luck...I hope this helped
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 1:38 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I use vinegar & water mixture to get rid of ants. I dnt think it kills them, they just go somewhere else. I think the smell bothers them. Lol. I dnt know if that would help outside any as I've only used it in my kitchen & bathroom.
    bridgeh2o

Answer by bridgeh2o at 3:32 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• You probably have slugs. Take a lid,like from a wide mouthed jar, and put in the ground so the rim is level. Fill it with beer. The slugs will die happy.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:39 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Plant some mint plants. Be careful though because they spread like weeds. I have some all around my deck and patio because I had a huge problem with ants getting in the house and wanted something safe for the kids and pets around these areas. Ants and quite a few other insects are repelled by the smell of the mint.
    oh_tracie

Answer by oh_tracie at 8:36 AM on Jun. 28, 2009