Children's vitamins

Our pediatrician wants our daughter to take a children's vitamin with iron and up till now we've been giving her the liquid drops mixed into her yogurt or pureed fruit. However, she at that stage (16 months) where she insists on feeding herself, so yogurt and baby fruits are not on the menu until she gets a little better with a spoon. All of the gummi vitamins I've seen don't contain iron and the chewables that do are meant for older kids (4+). Anyone know of a toddler vitamin with iron?

DEpley

Asked by DEpley at 1:22 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I put the liquid vitamin in his sippie cup of milk. He drinks it down just fine. I also let my DS eat his own yogurt at that age too, lol, you'd be surprised how quickly they master that spoon.
    Marti123

Answer by Marti123 at 10:54 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• My First Flintstone Vitamins is what we have been giving our 29 month old DD since she was 2 the age recommended. It contains no iron but it has everything else needed and NO aspertaine which is bad for anyone !
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 1:29 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• My ped said to give my DD 1/2 a regular Flintstones vitamin but that was before the 'my first' ones.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:49 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• So, after I read your question I went look up all kinds of childrens vitmans...The reason most are ages 4 and up is due to the risk of choking. The have alot of ages 2 and ups too....same thing due to the risk of choking.
    HannahLee87

Answer by HannahLee87 at 1:50 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Ou pedi put our daughter on chewables with iron at her 2 yr checkup. Not sure at 16 mo though.
    valerie0103

Answer by valerie0103 at 2:40 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I've been giving my dd the Flinstone gummies since she was 15 months. Shes never has a hard time getting them down, I do sit and watch her chew it to be sure cuz you never know. But they have iron in them. Now she's 19 mos and thinks they are candy so we have to hide them
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 5:27 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Try an iron rich smoothie, instead: frozen blueberries, frozen banana chunks, fresh kale (loaded with iron and calcium) orange juice (vitamin C to increase the absorbtion of the iron) and yogurt.

Scroll down this page: http://www.soystache.com/iron.htm for a listing of iron rich foods.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:37 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Here is a nutritionally packed "treat" you can make together: Dad's Sneaky Pudding
    Makes 2 servings
    This recipe was created by Earthsave International' s Chair of the Board of Directors, Louisville Lawyer and chef, John Borders.
    • 1 1/2 cups frozen strawberries
    • 1 banana
    • 1-2 tsp. carob or cocoa powder
    • 2 tsp. flaxseed oil
    • 3-5 Tbsp. nut butter (cashew or almond)
    • 2-3 Tbsp. orange juice or other healthy juice such as carrot juice
    • 2 Tbsp. fortified soymilk
    • 1/8-1/4 avocado
    Set your little companion up on a stool beside you, ready to toss in the ingredients and push the button. Place all the ingredients in a food processor or blender. This works best in a food processor; you might add a bit more juice or soymilk if you use a blender. Blend until smooth.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:38 PM on Jun. 27, 2009