How do I get back the time I lost?

When I worked outside my home I lost a lot of time.... I missed Breanna's frist steps! How do i cope with that ? It was 4 years go! I want it all back now that I am working from home. I don't want other mom's to repeat my mistakes

Latasha1984

Asked by Latasha1984 at 1:33 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• I worked full time with my first.He was in daycare at 7 weeks old, so I really feel what your saying.I feel like I had missed out on so much...getting reports from the daycare workers on all his firsts made me so sad.But I needed the money and at the time, feeding him, keeping a roof over his head and clothes on his back had to be put first.Now I have my 2nd and my situation and circumstances are better and I get to stay home with her.I feel so blessed and lucky and don't take one moment with her for grannted.My son, he is 9 now and I don't take time with him for granted either..I figure he will have plenty more firsts for me to see...and with each new day I look forward to that. You can not turn back time,remind yourself..there is so much more to look forward to.Don't beat yourself up about it.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:51 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I dnt think anyone else needs to answer! Kimberly said it all! LOL. If u beat urself up over it, you'll miss out on what time u have w/her now!
    ** I babysit my landlords 8 month old son. If he does something I have not seen/heard from him, I DO NOT tell his momma! That would be heartbreaking! He's trying to crawl & he said "momma" for the 1st time (that I've heard) on thurs. But I couldn't tell her! Lol **
    Enjoy!
    bridgeh2o

Answer by bridgeh2o at 3:07 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I love my job and working and have no regrets so I have no help for you. I did not miss my kids first steps or anything. I work 6-2 Mon-Fri. I work one Sat every three months. I run a group home for teen moms. These are girls who have been kicked out of their homes. We give them a place to live, job training, education assistance, adoption assistance, teach them how to care for their child, work on their self esteem and educate them on birth control. I would never give this work up and have not missed anything. I am sorry you feel you have missed out and hope it was not because others have told you that it was bad to work.

I have been called selfish since we don't need me to work. My husband is a heart surgeon and has two different offices in our city. I love my job and think it is important for me to continue. My kids have come to where I work and help out. They are learning about helping others.
    Anonymous

• My sister is a SAHM and I saw all of her kids firsts. All three of her kids took their first steps when with me. I babysat when they had a date night. For some reason these kids liked to show off for me. I never told my sister. So just because you are home does not mean you will actually see all firsts. My sister was a nut about this and if she actually knew her kids walked with me first she would beat herself up. I personally think my sister is a person who would benefit from working. She has no friends rarely leaves her home unless it is for date nights.
    Anonymous

• I don't regret being able to buy a nice home and save money for college.
    I live in the present and plan for the future. Worrying about the past is a HUGE waste of energy

Answer by rkoloms at 5:30 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• You can not change the past and you shouldn't try to live in the past. All you can do is live for now! Be happy that you can be with your children now and l live your life to the fullest.
    SonjaSC

Answer by SonjaSC at 6:02 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• You can't so get over it. I have been a single mom my son's whole life (13 yrs) and I missed all kinds of stuff, I just had to deal with it and move on. You can't get the past back, just live for the present and hope for the future.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:11 PM on Jun. 27, 2009