Anyone starting back-to-school shopping?

Last year, our local walmart was a mad house with people trying to get back to school supplies. A couple things on our list were sold out and I got a little stressed out about it. One lady at Walmart was almost having a break down and was yelling about her child's supplies being sold out as well. That made me stop and think.... these supplies are on the shelf all year round. Our supply list is no secret (we got a copy of next year's list the last week of school).

I think I am going to start picking up some of the stuff on our list now. Any one else doing supply shopping early??

For clothes though, I won’t be shopping until school ahs been in for a few weeks. The biggest consignment sale in the area is at the end of August (one THOUSAND sellers!) So, clothes and such will be bought then. Last year I got all three kids a each a wardrobe full of name brand and designer clothes for roughly $200 each child.

VeronicaLee

Asked by VeronicaLee at 1:48 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Shopping

• Yes, if you wait you'll save $. Crayons are usually .20-.25 a box, and markers go cheap too. Scissors, colored pencils, are all at bargain rates, and don't forget the glue!!! Target will give rain checks too so you don't need to rush, if something is missing. I'm not sure on Walmart's policies since I shop there less often.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 2:03 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Not on my mind yet. Target starts their supply sales in July so I start then. I buy a lot for my own classroom. My kids don't get lists until school begins.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 1:51 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I'm going to start clothes shopping next week. As its still summer, its easy to find shorts and other summer clothes everywhere. For some reason, despite our weather patterns, once August hits and the 'Back To School' sales start, everything summer-ish goes away and they bring out long sleeves and long pants. It doesn't get cool enough here for that til at least October, usually November.

So I'm going to try to save myself the headache I had last year trying to find shorts for my sons. I'll be BTS shopping for 2 kids this year, too - something I haven't done yet. My kids are going into 3rd grade and kindergarten.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:56 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• "Target starts their supply sales in July so I start then. I buy a lot for my own classroom."

So, if I wait, do you think I will pay less for the supplies?
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 1:56 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I think I will begin buying her school clothes. They have to wear uniforms to public schools here, so, I'm scared if I wait too long I may not be able to find her size or something. It's going to be hard enough finding my 4 year old school clothes because she's still in toddler clothes and for some reason they don't have uniforms in that size UGH I dread this.
    HannahLee87

Answer by HannahLee87 at 1:57 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• "once August hits and the 'Back To School' sales start, everything summer-ish goes away and they bring out long sleeves and long pants. It doesn't get cool enough here for that til at least October, usually November."

Same here. August is our hottest month! It usually doesn't start getting cool here until late October.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 2:00 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• "Yes, if you wait you'll save $"

Thanks for your feedback! I forgot about how good the sales can be! Maybe I will wait afterall.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 2:13 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Thats a great idea to start now...thanks for putting the thought into my head,lol.I'm such a procrastinator,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:37 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Oh I'm lucky! I've never bought a single pencil or notebook for my 11yo dd. Her daddy always gets her entire list plus some. He's so good 2 her! This year will be diff though as my youngest starts kindergarten this year. I'm gonna hold off til they release the lists @ walmart. That's usually when they start their sales as well.
    bridgeh2o

Answer by bridgeh2o at 2:55 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Yeah I'd wait for the sales. Target sells packs of crayons for 60 cents or so during that time! I always stock up on crayons and markers for the house in August and September also (we like to do art projects at home).

If you want to beat the rush maybe you can go in really early during the day when the sales first start?
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 3:16 PM on Jun. 27, 2009