My 10 month old hasn't said "MOM" yet!!!

My son is 10 months old and he hasn't said mom yet.. He says dadda, babba and hi but he will not say mom. What to do?

I am a stay at home mom and have no family that helps with him, his dad is also working all the time so I thought maybe since I am around him all the time thats why he wouldn't say it. I do say mom to him a lot but he just doenst say it. I know all kids grow at their own pace but I have a lot of friends that have kids that are about his age and they talk up a storm and it just worries me that he isn't saying that yet... any advice would help.

NicolePB

Asked by NicolePB at 1:59 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My 10 months old doesn't say anything. He tries to say "uh oh" but gets stuck and just say "uh uh uh uh uh umm" that's it, oh and he shakes his head no.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 2:08 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Give him some more time. He knows who you are. It might be harder for him to make the "mmm" sound just yet.
    YoungTwinMommy

Answer by YoungTwinMommy at 2:21 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• awww, don't worry..he'll say it in time.babies have to learn different formations with thier mouths to make sounds.try it...the "d" sound you use your tongue, with the "m" sound, you use your lips.it just takes time.my son said daadaa first, then baabaa then his third word was maa.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:33 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• He'll say it when he's ready. My oldest didn't say mama until she was 18 months. She knew what the word meant and who I was but she was a snot about it. Anytime you asked her who I was she would giggle and say, "dada."
    She started saying other words at 7/8 months and was using a lot of other words up until 18 months, just not mama.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:07 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• My first daughter called both parents "dada" until about 12 months (then she switched and called us both "mama" for awhile lol), but she was speaking in complete sentences by 18 or so months and is now 25 months old with an incredible vocabulary and very sophisticated sentences (and ideas). No need to worry just now... your son sounds right on track. He's storing up so much info right now... he'll use it soon!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:25 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• My first baby didn't call me anything until she was 17 months old.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:29 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Kids develop different areas one at a time. If your son is learning how to walk, or crawl or anything else right now, then his speech development will slow down, and then once he is done with the other area of learning, his body will go back to another area of development, such as talking.
    Don't worry, he will talk when he is ready.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 9:24 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• The D sound is easier to make than the M sound. Almost all babies say dada for a while before they say mama.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:25 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Thank You ALL SO Much!!!! I get discouraged some times with all these other kids doing so much.
    NicolePB

Answer by NicolePB at 1:12 PM on Jun. 28, 2009