I am 34 weeks pregnant and broke my ribs on Wednesday night falling down the stairs... anyone ever experience this? I am due in 6 weeks... Is labor going to be 10 times worse or what?!

I have had "natural" births (though with epidurals) with both my 3 & 5 year olds and do NOT want a c-section....

KarenAnnC

Asked by KarenAnnC at 2:09 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I dont think they will c-section unless the baby is in danger but i bet it will hurt more. im so sorry for u
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 2:12 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• oh no that's terrible! i'm so glad you and the baby are alright. (the baby is okay right?) my mom just broke 4-5 of her ribs a few months ago. she was on bed rest for about 3 weeks because she couldnt move without being in pain. but around 8 weeks she was fully functioning again. hopefully by 6 weeks, most of the healing is done, but i can imagine how much more painful labor will be. are you sure you don't want a c section? it's not like you don't have a good reason.. i'd do a lot of talking and planning with your doctor. good luck & i hope you heal okay
    Anonymous

• I've never experienced it...but I just wanted to say...Good Luck to you! I hope it all works out and is not as painful as it sounds like it might be.Just keep thinking...'mind over matter,mind over matter" lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:22 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I am lucky that the baby is ok- they kept me in the hospital for 2 nights for observation because after the fall I had contractions every 2 minutes and they wanted to be sure that the placenta wasn't affected by the fall. The contractions stopped after a few hours though and all the blood tests and ultrasounds looked fine. Now, I am just hoping that this baby comes a little late so I have more time to heal!
    KarenAnnC

Answer by KarenAnnC at 2:39 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I have broken 2 ribs before water skiing. The bad news is that labor with broken ribs would be severely painful. I don't even know where you would get the strength to push when it hurts to breathe. The good news is if you make it to term, then 6 weeks is long enough to let your ribs heal.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:40 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• any doctor will give you a C section if the pain was to bad, I really really hope you heal before you pop!
    best of luck and I'll keep u in my prayers!
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 3:26 PM on Jun. 27, 2009