Do you limit your music when your kids are around?

Are you careful about what music you listen to when your kids are around or do you listen to whatever?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:38 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• i will listen to the radio when they are with me so theres no bad words and things.
    mammaboyz113

Answer by mammaboyz113 at 2:40 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I usually just keep kid songs on or maybe Contemporary Christian.

I work in a preschool, and I had a 4 year old tell me the other day that they loved Kid Rock and that their mom blasted it in the car all the time, WOW, to me, thats not appropriate for a 4 year old to be listening to.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:45 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Oh I hate Kids Bop. I have Dora, Backyardigans, Laurie Berkner, and Jack's Big Music Show music for my daughter to listen to. It doesn't bother me at all. I try to refrain from listening to R&B with my toddler in the car. Mostly country and classic rock when I am tired of her cds.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 2:47 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I may get bashed but I listen to whatever around my 4 year old son... He knows what he can sing along with and what he can't. I've never once had him repeat something from a song. His fav music is Rock music and can sing nearly every song from Shinedown and Seether (and yes, Even some Kid Rock).
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:52 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• My kids are 1 and 2 so i dont really have a repeating problaem yet but they love to listen to all kinds of music. My 2 yo's favorite song is Lady Gaga's Poker face, he freaks out everythime it comes on and my 1 yo loves to dance to Flo ridas Right Round. But i dont listen to much music that has a lot of cussing in it. We also listen to a lot of country music too.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 2:57 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I listen to whatever & always have. There is no censoring at my house.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:06 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I listen to mainly country so its not really a problem. I try not to listen to a lot of hip hop or bad pop music when my 3 yr old is around. the only reason is because a few yrs ago b4 i was a mom , my best friend had a 4 yr old girl she used to ask if she could dance like the girls on tv (mtv) and would ask if she could say the naughty words in her fav song. that kinda put me off. when a 4 yr old wants to dance sleezy on a coffee table! but ino thats not all songs. we dont listen to kids music. ym ds doesnt even like it ive tried it! he likes his vbs songs and country (anything daddy likes...mainly jason aldean and alan jackson) so i dont really hae to worry. He thinks jason aldean is rock n roll soo....
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 3:16 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• We listen to whatever and it's an eclectic mix. I prefer country and alternative. My husband likes heavy metal and hard rock (including Kid Rock). We both like classic rock and I love disco (it's just fun). And if it's been in any of the Guitar Hero or Rock Band games then the kids probably have it memorized.
    Really, the only thing we don't listen to is kid music.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:19 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• funny as my grandkids run and turn their vulgar music off when I walk in the door! Their parents obviously let them listen to it to my dismay but they respect me enough to turn it off for nana. I appreciate that.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:41 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Nope, we listen to everything and I haven't had a need to censor it yet. My dd is almost 3 and she knows some words are mommy and daddy words and she has her substitutes for those...It's so cute when she stubs her toe and shouts ''Oh Curses!''. I'm not sure I will censor it for words, but I also don't agree with letting them listen to songs full of violence and hate, so maybe someday I'll censor for content, kwim?
    kttycat84

Answer by kttycat84 at 4:47 PM on Jun. 27, 2009