Would you like to read a story on why this Catholic Crosses herself? Would you like to share a positive story about why you cross yourself?

There is a lot of talk about crossing today. Here is a story on why I cross myself. Do you have positive story you would like to share about crossing yourself?
Crossing myself in front of a church is relatively new to me. In fact it is not even a week old. Last week our homily was about the presence of Jesus in the Eucharist. I will be honest; I don’t always listen to the entire homily. This time I snapped to attention when I heard him tell a story about students in Rome acting as tour guides for the Vatican. Please forgive me if I get some of the smaller details wrong.
There are many chapels and churches in Rome, and in Vatican City. Theology students from a local university were giving tours. (This happen to be the place where Raphael painted on the way to the Sistine Chappell)One group of tourist was from Japan. Most the people in the group knew very little about the Catholic Church.

livingangle

Asked by livingangle at 2:40 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 1 (-24 Credits)
  • This doesn't sound like much, but I just wanted to say that when I make the sign of the cross, and say "in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit", it reminds me that everything I do should be in God's name and for God. It is constant reminder, throughout the day, of what should be my focus.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 2:46 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• As the student is showing off all the painting and pictures the tourist were very impressed with the art work and the fact it has lasted for so long.
    The student started to talk about the Body and Blood of Christ. Some where there must be a display of the host. (Sorry I don’t remember the name of what the Body of Christ is kept in) The student explained the beliefs of this being the Body of Christ. One particular person stood back and asked the student to explain the meaning again. After he listened, he remarked if what the student said is true then the Eucharist was more magnificent than all the artwork in the Sistine Chappell.
    livingangle

Answer by livingangle at 2:40 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I have always dreamed of going to Rome, but what Monsignor said last Sunday struck a note. No matter how many paintings, statues and buildings I see; nothing will compare to real presence of Jesus Christ. He concluded that those of us who can understand this will also understand the purpose of crossing ourselves when we pasts a church, because most Catholic Churches have the Eucharist.
    Monday morning I was called to Jury duty. I passed a church and couldn’t resist making the sign of the cross. I said a small prayer as I crossed myself. I was reminded that Jesus is present at all times. I say a prayer when passing a church. I offer my prayers in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
    livingangle

Answer by livingangle at 2:41 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Now you have the option of understanding this or not grasping the call to say a prayer. But once we put the text books down, and leave the prejudice of Catholics and forget about Constantine we can listen to others and understand their reason. I cross myself as a way to call on the Heavenly Father in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. I offer my prayers and ask for God to look over me and guide me for whatever my purpose is for driving in front of the church.
    I do not say that everyone who passes a church and does not make the sign of the cross is going to hell, nor do I say making this sign while praying will get you a one way ticket to heaven.
    livingangle

• Those that have been so vocal about the sign of the cross and the reasons why it is unacceptable, I sincerely hope you read this with an open mind and understand the sign of the cross is prayer. My Spanish has diminish very much of the years but without a pause I can still say, En el nombre del Padre, del Hijo, y Espiritu Santos
    livingangle

Answer by livingangle at 2:42 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I just wanted to add that I don't allow my kids to make the sign of the cross without saying "IN THE NAME OF the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit", I want them to remember why they do it.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 2:50 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I really don't care if Catholics cross themselves or not so long as it doesn't interfere with others e.g. insisting others do it or doing it when it might be dangerous like while driving. Almost all religions have their rituals, physical ritual and tools are great ways of focusing attention while praying and performing magic.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 3:23 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• bellarose-you are correct, in grade school there were a few that made the sign of the cross so often it lost its meaning. I mean after report cards, test the works. It wasn't a prayer they were laughing and making fun. The principal called one girl out on it eventually. He said something like I see you made the sign of the cross so you prayers are answered? Not the exact words but something to remind her about prayers.
    livingangle

Answer by livingangle at 4:50 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• RhondaVeggie-I read this right before I left to get the kids some burger king. I started thinking about your statement and thought it might not be a good idea to cross yourself while driving. I was actually stopped at red light when I crossed myself. In fact, if I wasn't stopped I doubt I would even notice the church.

I decided to take a longer trip to another burger king and cross in front of a church. Really there were no churches in route to any burger kings, but I know as I come over a particular hill on the highway I will see the steeple of at least three Catholic Churches. Well I almost had a wreck looking for steeple tops. I crossed myself without there being a church. It really only took about 4 seconds, less time than it takes to change a radio station. I don't care if you cross yourself or not, but I don't think it will hurt to do while driving or at least say In the name of the Father, Son, Holy Spirit
    livingangle

Answer by livingangle at 4:56 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I'm not Catholic, so I say this as a Protestant Christian, when any action has meaning to the individual doing it, it is valuable. When it looses meaning then it looses it's value.
    As a member of a protestant denomination we don't have many rituals or symbolic actions, however, I do not enter my church without saying a small prayer asking God to remind me that I am entering His house and to do so with reverence.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 5:42 PM on Jun. 27, 2009