Should I quit my job and stay home after my maternity leave is up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:02 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• If you can afford to and you really want to then you should. This is a personal decision and only you and your family can know what is the right choice. For my family that is what we did and it has been wonderful and I feel very blessed to have this time with my son. Oppositely, my sister in law worked very hard to become a lawyer and she loves her work. The same decision would not have worked for them. Every family is different and there is no one solution for all. I suggest you run some budgets to see if you can afford it, and do some soul searching so make sure it's what you want.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 4:04 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• If that is what you want and can afford it, why not? But if your health insurance is through your work you might want to check into it. I know I had to go back for so long after my maternity leave to have everything covered.
    Anonymous

• If you can afford it and you won't need to be on assistance to make it go for it. If you will have to be on state aid and insurance you should keep your job. Assistance should only be for those who really cannot make it and not just those who choose not to work.
    Anonymous

• Only absolutely necessary.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 4:30 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• If you can afford to then stay home !
    When I was due to have my DD I quit my job and stayed home , it's been 3 years since . We budget our money spend money on what we NEED not what we want. We don't go many places since the gas, we ate out VERY little and when we do we go cheap or go where they have specials/coupons. My health insurance was from my hubby's job so I didn't have to worry about that.
    It actually SAVES us money for me to stay home .
    If I HAD to get a job I would for my family but until it's needed I will stay home .
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 4:51 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I personally feel that every child should be raised by one of their parents instead of institutionalized daycare unless there is no other option (for example, single moms).

I was a teacher before quitting to be a full time mommy. Even at the high school level, we teachers can tell which kids were raised at home and which were raised in daycare.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:12 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Honestly, your child/children will need you so much more in their pre-teen and teen years than they will now.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:27 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• It depends on your finances. Babies aren't as expensive as people claim they are and you have to do the math of how much childcare and travel expenses are as apposed to staying home. You might get bored and lonely after a while. With my first daughter, I waited until she was about 6 months and got a waitressing job friday and saturday nights. That way we could keep her with family and I still had extra cash and socialized. Or you can look up play groups in your area. With my next baby, I started working from home, so by the time she comes I have my business built up enough to just work part time. You're welcome to try it part time until your maternity leave, so money wont be an issue and you wont feel bored. Moms need a life too and it's nice to be home, but that's your choice.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 5:39 PM on Jun. 27, 2009