going by the old wives tales..

what is the sex of the heartrate of between 140-150?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• good chance its a girl
    RIP.Caleb

Answer by RIP.Caleb at 4:20 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• You're going to get both answers...I actually asked my doctor this question and he told me that towards the end of pregnancy you can usually tell if it's one or the other by: slower heart rate = boy and faster = girl. You have to be kind of far along though for it to be accurate.
    Anonymous

• I was told by my OB that lower heart rates are for girls and higher are for boys- both my sons were 154-158 the WHOLE pregnancy.
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 4:21 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I was told boys are lower and girls are higher. Both of my girls had higher heartrates, however, when I was prego with my 2nd, in the beginning her heartrate was lower so I thought it was going to be a boy. Later on though, it sped back up.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:23 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I've had 2 boys and one girl...my daughter's heart rate was faster then my boys'.
    Anonymous

• Is it possible to predict my baby's sex based on their heart rate?

There is a commonly held belief that if you're having a girl, then the fetal heart rate will be above 140 beats per minute.

This belief might have started with a grain of truth. Female fetuses do appear to have faster heart rates than male fetuses during labor. However, for most of pregnancy there is no relationship between the fetal heart rate and the sex of the fetus .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REFERENCES

Dawes NW , et al.Fetal heart rate patterns in term labor vary with sex, gestational age, epidural analgesia, and fetal weight.Am J Obstet Gynecol.;180:181-7.PMID: 9914601
    McKenna DS et al., Gender-related differences in fetal heart rate during first trimester.Fetal Diagn Ther 2006;21(1):144-7.PMID: 16354993
    I googled it, based off this, my doctor was wrong! lol
    Anonymous

• Supposedly, boys' heart rates are slower, but....my sons was 160 the first time we heard it, so IDK. Most old wives tales have no validity whatsoever. There really is no way you can tell the gender other than from an ultrasound. I knew I was having a boy before we officially found out, but that was only from my intuition. :)
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 4:27 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• with my first baby a girl she was always at 145-155
    my second a boy was always at 155-165
    this baby another boy is always at 140-155
    eSnA2008

Answer by eSnA2008 at 5:26 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I've had two girls and both were 160 or higher so i'd say boy my friend had two boys and the heartbeat always stayed lower 150 or less. I don't know with this one because its to soon to know.
    pandora09

Answer by pandora09 at 11:47 PM on Jun. 27, 2009