Why aren't dog abortions more popular?

The shelters are packed with unwanted dogs. On the local news this week they said about 800 cats are euthanized a WEEK here in Phoenix Arizona. I don't remember the weekly amount of dogs euthanized but it was a big number too. So why is it that there aren't more abortions done on animals? It is good enough for us.
Would you support abortions for pets?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:24 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Pets

• If people can't be bothered to care about spaying/neutering their pets, why are they going to bother getting this done while the animal is pregnant? If they were concerned about pet overpopulation, something would be done BEFORE it became an issue.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:25 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I agree with Ginger. What about all the strays? That's probably where most of the problem comes in.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 4:30 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• ginger: why don't humans use that logic with themselves? If someone doesn't want to become pregnant why not take the necessary steps? Why is it okay for humans to go "oops I need to fix this mistake" but for pet owners they need to be responsible before the fact?

OP- I don't think dog abortions are popular because of money. People would rather euthanize puppies than get their dog spayed in the first place. It costs money to spay, but it is free to drop off puppies at the pound. It is a sad world we live in when animals are allowed to be born but human aren't.
    Anonymous

• What Ginger said.

If some hapless dumbfuck is stupid enough to not care about spaying his dog, he's not going to care when she's pregnant.
    SarahColbert

Answer by SarahColbert at 5:04 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I do not support abortion whatsoever! Animal human whatever.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 5:37 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I spay an average of 20 cats and 10 dogs a week that are brought in from the humane society. It can be heart wrenching when the pups/kittens are viable and able to survive. At this point we euthanize all babies that are breathing. It is much different than in humans as a human baby is not viable (if done first trimester) at the time of aborting.

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 5:44 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• dogs can't be classified as humans and they feel that getting rid of animals are easier then spaying them cost wise and also there are a lot of strays that contribute to the problem not just irresponsible dog owners. it's truly sad but it's a never ending problem that has no end in sight. you eductate and hope people do the right thing.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 5:46 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I've never even heard of a pet abortion.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:00 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• To beckcorc: Pet abortions are considered a spay while pregnant. It is done often. Some owners and Vets do not realize the animal is pregnant at the time of spaying (very difficult to palpate when early on). Those that do know spay with the intention of euthanizing pups or kittens. It is legal as pets are considered property. I personally do not like this aspect of my job.

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 9:11 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I think spay everything & this wont be a issue but people dont do that so yes i think if you come across a pregnant dog or cat spay it & abort the babys, its better than fillin the shelters up , there is not enough homes for all these animals. its a very sad world for our animal friends..I wish they would pass a law to where if you own it or feed it you must fix it!!! && if you see a stray... trap ,neuter or spay,& release its a great thing to do.if everyone would do this maybe our shelters wouldn't be so damn full!! I've worked at a shelter its not a happy place for the animals ,,its a sad place really it is.sittin in a cage its like jail. please everyone fix your critters pregnant or not!!!!!! i could go on & on but i wont.
    ddang

Answer by ddang at 1:04 PM on Jun. 28, 2009