Is it really so hard to cover up?

Honestly I have read a ton of journal entries about how a woman shouldn't have to be covered up when they are nursing. Well today I was at story time with my son. There was like 30 kids there. One mother went into the back and nursed her child. She didn't sit in the middle of the kids and basically say fu to the other people. She had the baby in a front carrier and the only way I knew she was breastfeeding was that I heard the baby. Didn't make me uncomfortable at all. I thanked her for doing it discreetly.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:27 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• I totally agree, what is so wrong with covering it up? If you think about it before you had the baby the only person you wanted to see your boob was your man and now you want the whole world to see and you want them to respect you for that? Ummm no!! When we went out I pumped a few bags of milk and would bottle feed, or we would go to places that have a nursing bathroom and you can go in there and change your little one or go into one of the private rooms and breastfeed. A lot of places have them, but anyways I totally agree. I don't see why any mom would want everyone to see her privates, like I said before they didn't want anyone to see it before the baby so why now?
    Anonymous

• That was rude that you thanked her for breastfeeding discreetly. It's like her thanking you for formula feeding your baby in the back as not to offend the breastfeeding mothers. Really, it's none of your damn business and if you don't like it look away.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:32 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I don't cover up...at home. However I think everyone should have respect for others around them, not everyone is comfortable watching you nurse. It's not that difficult to cover up. I bought a sling, and can carry my baby in public in it and feed him, and no one ever knows unless they ask to see the baby and I tell them he is nursing.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 4:32 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• So you take mother's who prefer to practice their legal right to breastfeed their hungry babies out in public instead of hiding in a corner or throwing a blanket over their babies head as them saying "F-U" to everybody around them? That's an interesting point of view...
    Anonymous

• so tmn786 you want majority of people in this world to have to look away? A LOT of people are uncomfortable watching someone pop out their private part in public! And someone said we want them to cover the child's face and cover up because they try to feed their hungry child? WTH this is 2009 you can pump your breast and bring the food with you, if you choose for them to suck on the breast then learn to cover it up or do it in private because it's gross to watch. My DH made us leave a restaurant because he was grossed out from seeing a woman bust out her nasty boob in front of him. Again majority of people are grossed out by it, so just learn to cover it up or pump when you know your going to be out of the house!!
    Anonymous

• I breastfeed discreetly, just because I am shy about my body. My daughter never took a bottle of expressed milk so pumping and bringing some wasn't an option. It's not hard to cover up, but mother's who choose not to have that right. I personally would have been offended if you thanked me for doing it discreetly, like you feel that women should hide it if they are breastfeeding and I don't agree with that at all even though I DO cover up. I've seen women breastfeeding in public before and even the ones who weren't covered didn't have it all hanging out there, so I really don't know what the big deal is, it's just as easy for people not to look if they notice and don't want to see anything. From my observations, most of the time, you would have to really be looking to see anything in the first place.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 4:40 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• i always did it in private even at home i went to my bedroom away from my older kids or i would pump when we go out or if visitin someone i went to the host's bedroom and locked the door. . i dont want my kids seein naked boobs on anyone till they are old enough. there are ways to B/F and be discreet about it.
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 4:43 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• See I think it should be a personal choice. I beast feed my sons walking through the store, church, my niece's school, literally any where I when I fed him out in the open. If someone was offended that I was breast feeding my son I said screw you! However I did not have my boobies hanging out, because I personally don't want other people to see my boobs! They are mine and they are special to me and my SO whom I choose to share my boobs with. I personally feel that breastfeeding mothers shouldn't have their boobs hanging out BUT breastfeeding mother have the RIGHT to breastfeed where ever they damn well please!
    lilmama4d_j

Answer by lilmama4d_j at 4:45 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• This debate is old...I mean it's a boob!

So long as we don't have full frontal nudity going on who cares? 95% of the time you can see more flesh in some of the shirts woman wear. But we don't get all peeved and tell woman who don't "Thanks for covering up". People seriously need to worry about more important things. A boob to feed a child just isn't one of them.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 4:45 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• FYI, my babies are formula fed.

I have never seen a woman "pop out her boob" in public. Yes, they breastfeed in public and sometimes you can SEE them breastfeeding and maybe a hint of boob skin, but never have I seen a woman just pop her boob out while people were looking.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:46 PM on Jun. 27, 2009