husband's job what would you think??

My hubby works a good job ( a car plant ) makes good money but it's physically hard on him working 40 hours sometimes more a week. He's been thier 12 years. The plant is doing well parts of the plant are working over time some just regular hours. 30 days ago Fri. my hubby came home after they had a problem with something in the plant. He now has been coming home after 2 hours of work everyday. We have a toddler and a baby on the way and we are trying to move. We have been good with our money so far and we continue to look for a rental house since he says we will be able to afford to move and make rent (looking for rentals that are around what we pay now) so I am assuming he knows what he is doing ...... I know he would NOT purposely screw us by just not working . I have little to do with our money I write out the bills and send them out. He watches how much we have and tells me how much I can spend at the store.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:33 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• You need to ask if he has lost his job.

Anonymous

• You are right to be concerned. Have you asked him what's up? Has he been laid off or cut back?

Answer by Bmat at 4:40 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• and if he doesnt tell you call his job and ask for him to see if he is there
    Anonymous

• I try to ask him and he says his job won't tell him anything really . I feel bad for not trusting him but it's just odd . My family says they could be doing it so that they don't have to pay them unemployment. I would ask someone he works with but he hasn't been on that side of the plant long and I haven't met any of his co workers to see what they say.
    I ask him if he did lose his job he says no everytime I ask him . He tries not to talk about becasue he KNOWS I stress out VERY easy and I am 24 weeks prego. I honestly don't know what to think anymore about his job.......
    Anonymous

• Can't really do that I got in a car accident back in 2006 and tried calling his job where he works you have to call security first and then they will decide if it's important enough to get a hold of the employee and they told me since I was NOT personally hurt that I could NOT get through to him ! They are VERY strict about phone calls.
    Anonymous

• I don't understand why you don't know the details of your family's finances. Your husband treats you like an employee, not like his life-partner. The two of you need to have a serious discussion about what he is hiding from you.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:26 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• AWWW f..k that!! Excuse my language, but noone will tell me when it is or is not okay to speak to my SO. I would tell whoever is on the other line that it is not their business why I am calling, I need to speak with my husband immediately about an emergent and private matter. Just tell them it's an emergency, if they ask you to specify the emergency tell them it is not their concern it is your husbands and that is why you are asking to speak to him and not them! If the company has kept him as an employee for 12 years, he must be doing something right and they should trust him by now to always get his job done.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 6:39 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Sorry, I lost track of your original question when I read your response about the phone call suggestion. I think you need to know what is going on with your finances, when you have children together it is both of yours responsibility to provide for them. If hubby's job is in jeopardy or he thinks it may be than maybe you should start looking for employment just as a backup. I would suggest to just keep trying to talk to him about it, but not in an accusatory manor. Use phrases like "I feel" or "I am worried" and if he answers try to repeat his feelings back to him so he knows you are hearing him. I am a big proponent of active listening. It works!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 6:47 PM on Jun. 27, 2009