To moms who've had C-sections:....... NO ANTI-SECTION BASHING!!!!!

What can I expect? My previous 2 pregnancies ended in vaginal births. But I've been diagnosed with CPP(complete placenta previa) and with my history of PROM(premature rupture of membranes) my doctor is planning on taking this one by c-section to avoid hemmorage and plus, there's no way out for her.I'm nearly 26 weeks and he's planning on taking her 4-6 weeks early since that's when my water broke with the first two. So surgery in 8-10 weeks.

I guess what I'm mostly worried about is post-op and at home with the baby, healing from the incision. What I can expect to be able to do or not be able to do. I've had my appendix out and the cut was pretty big since I waited too long to get help(I thought it was menstral cramps, it was that time of the month and I get horrendus cramping!) and it nearly burst. And I didn't do too well with that, I was in the hospital nearly a week before I could go home. Kinda low tolerance for pain.

ShutterBug4Life

Asked by ShutterBug4Life at 4:34 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Well, my sister has similar problem to yours, her biggest problem was she couldnt lift anything heavier than 5lbs for about 2 weeks..... and was sore for about 2 months... the healing goes pretty fast now though, the cut they make is small these days she was healed in about a month or so
    Anonymous

• Stay at the hospital as long as you can, they'll help you. :] I stayed for about three days and was still a little sore about a week later but I had a lot of help from family.
    ours

Answer by ours at 4:39 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I had both my kids through c-section and neither time did I have to use meds when I got home. With my son I stayed in the hospital for only 2 days and they say at least 5 but I felt fine. With my daughter I stayed 5 because her temp was too low but after 2 days I didn't hurt at all. The only part that is scarry is right after they take the baby out because your all numb and can't move to really hold and look at your baby. But after 2 hours your fine, just relax and don't move up to 2 hours after the c-section. Plus you want have a reason to move so it's not that big of a deal. I have a really really low tolerance for pain, once they did the spinal block I was fine, they took me in and the baby was out!! It went by really fast, with our DD we went in at 8pm and she was born at 835pm. Good luck!!
    Anonymous

• Oh and the scar is as thin as a piece of paper, you can't even see it, it's right below where than panties sit and I wear low cut panties so the cut is really low and paper thin.
    Anonymous

• My first was c-section and I did not fare well. I was in the hospital for 5 days following the birth. It seems like it took forever for me to heal once I got home. I could barely walk, sit up in bed or go to the bathroom...all the muscles you use to do those things are completely severed and it takes time for them to heal. My pain meds didn't do that much for me so I was in a lot of pain. I'd say about 3 weeks after my son was born I was finally able to move around by myself. But every woman is different. You may surprise yourself do very good after the procedure. Just make sure you have plenty of help and someone at home all times until you feel you can do it on your own. Take it slow and at your own pace. Don't do anything until you think you are ready to. I'm sure you'll do great. So sorry to hear the circumstances for the c-section...I cannot imagine what you're going through. Glad you have a good Dr though.
    Anonymous

• Thank you for all the responses and advice, I'm just so freaked out about this!! I'm not so scared of the surgery, it's the only way and I've accepted that. I'm freaked about having my water break early and hemmoraging. I have never had contractions naturally, my water breaks and then I have to be induced (nasty pitocin!) so I have NO WARNING whatsoever! I forgot one question: I have always had pitocin to induce and they have always been in my system after the placenta is out and the uterus has begun to contract back down. Now, I know I could bleed to death if my uterus doesn't do that job. What do they do in that case?
    ShutterBug4Life

Answer by ShutterBug4Life at 5:52 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Well if you're uterus doesn't contract back down like it's supposed to they have meds to try first to stop the bleeding. You should warn them ahead of time so they can have it ready. The C-section itself is fine. You'll be given an epidural or spinal block. They put up the curtain to ensure a sterile field and in a few minutes you will feel tugging as they pull baby out. DH will NOT be able to cut the cord. Sorry, but they have to maintain the sterile field. You'll have stitches initially. Mine were taken out the next day and I was essentially glued and taped shut at that point. they will want you to try and walk ASAP. No heavy lifting and no driving for like two weeks after as you could break the incision open again. They sell c-sec support belts I would recommend one. PM me if you have more questions on bleeding out (cause I did) or my recovery from c-section.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:17 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I will not go into what to expect during the c-section because mine was terrifying and painful but that's not all woman. Afterward you can definitely expect to be sore for a little while. Use a little pillow and hold it tight to your lower tummy when standing from sitting. Try not to laugh it hurts like a bitch. DO NOT lift anything heavier than your baby... TRUST ME ON THIS ONE. I did not listen and was trying to maintain a home and go grocery shopping too soon and my incision opened and did not heal for over 2 months. As far as your water breaking if you have CPP I dont' think your water breaks.. correct me someone if i'm wrong. Just follow the rules they give you and you will be fine. The worst for me was the section itself, then just dealing with the Post Partum Bleeding for 8 weeks. Keep a positive mind set you'll be ok.
    angelbabies14

Answer by angelbabies14 at 8:32 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I have had 3 c-sections. 2000, 2002, & 2006. The first c-section seemed horrible! It was my first and i was not used to the pain of it. It took me two days to want to get out of bed at the hospital. The second c-section, was easier but still hard. The third c-section was a breeze! I was out of bed the next day walking around. You will have to wait until they at least get your catheter out. Then you HAVE TO get out of bed to go pee...lol...Getting up as soon as you can and walking around will make it easier for you, trust me. The more you walk, the more it helps out your incision. Of course you will have to be bent over during the beginning, but eventually you will be able to walk from you bed to you chair in the room and relax. Just take your time and go SLOW. That is the key. You will need assistance getting out of bed and walking at first, but like i said go slow. Email me anytime if you would like more info.
    atkmommy

Answer by atkmommy at 8:34 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Though I've never had a c-section, but am 36 weeks with an 8lb 7oz baby already and doctors have already told me I am having one, KEEP IN MIND that EVERYBODY is different.

Take in everything you read on this page and just know that your experience will resemble some of this, and not all. You could be a VERY quick and painless healer. Where as, you could be someone that takes longer to heal, but feel more pain. You just never know. I can't read these answers, only because i'll freak myself out.

Your best bet, just ask your doctor questions. If you don't like your doc or trust him, ask someone in your family who's had one, they'll be honest, and you're more likely to have an experience more like theirs.

Good luck! I'm nervous! Are you? We'll be okay!!! I keep telling myself the only bad thing about this c-section I'm going to have is the lack of EXCITEMENT!!
    EvansMommy63

Answer by EvansMommy63 at 11:45 PM on Jun. 27, 2009