my 4 week old wont sleep unless in holding her

She will fall asleep and as soon as i lay her down she wakes up within 5mins no matter what time of day! I need to know if there is a way to break her of this habit?

ally12345

Asked by ally12345 at 4:41 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You could stick with what you are doing, eventually she may sleep a little longer then a little longer. Or, you could try holding her longer or for a shorter amount of time before laying her down. My daughter had (and still has) to be held to sleep, and once asleep for 10 min I could lay her down. Any longer than 10 min or any shorter, she would wake up. Good luck.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 5:06 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• let me start by saying im a STRONG believer in children sleeping on their own and falling asleep on their own, but with both my boys until tey were around 3 months old, and i was breastfeeding, i jsut slept with them, not in a bed but lounged in a recliner, after 3 monthe i started putting them down, and letting them cry for a bit, after about a week they were alseep in their own beds all night, if you want more from em jsut pm me!

and congrats on the babe!
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 5:16 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Your baby is still a newborn. You can't really start any bad habits before 6-8 weeks. Just savor this time and when she's 7 weeks old, start trying to lay her down when drowsy, lay a hand on her chest, and then slowly remove it. Do that over and over until it starts to work. But, right now she's just too young.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:28 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• my 6 month old daughter does the same thing so i know how you feel...
    New_Mommy09

Answer by New_Mommy09 at 6:01 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Your baby has barely been in this world for a month, have patience. Baby is making a HUGE transition from womb to world, and you are what he has always known.

Hold your baby, as much as is needed.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 7:55 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• i jsut slept with them, not in a bed but lounged in a recliner

That is very dangerous there is a proper safe way to co-sleep that is not one of them.

Anonymous

• Enjoy this. Your obnoxious 13 year old will sometimes not want to be on the same planet as you....

Answer by rkoloms at 9:53 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Make sure you are swaddling her well so she feels cacooned. It's ok, if she cried of fusses for a few minutes when you put her down. With my DS, a few seconds just seemed like forever and I would pick him right back up, wish I had been more patient.

I actually started putting DS in his car seat to sleep, he slept so much better and then I could some rest. I felt so so guilty when I did this but now 20 months later, no harm was done!! Good luck.
    Marti123

Answer by Marti123 at 11:23 PM on Jun. 27, 2009