swimmers ear

what causes that? swimmers ear? water in the ear.. we have a Pool where we live and my toddler and i have been going swimming Alot.. and my dh and ds have cute little big ears lol and my child cant help but dunk his head all around. and im afraid of him getting water in his ears.. is swimmers ear an infection caused by water.. is it the pain of the water getting trapped in the ear.. has anyone child had this.. i remember as a kid getting it and that it hurt really bad.. i just want to try to avoid it if i can.. thank u

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• http://kidshealth.org/kid/ill_injure/aches/swimmers_ear.html

Answer by admckenzie at 5:45 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I sugest putting cotten balls in their ears and making sure they only swim in clean water. Mine is to young to swim but my sisters (13 and 11) get swimmers ear all the time. If they start complaining about their ear hurtting then pour proxid in their ears leave it for a second and turn their head and let it drain . It will help evaporate the water in their ears
    kat324

Answer by kat324 at 6:16 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• My middle son got that a few years ago. It is caused by water in the ears. to prevent swimmers ear: use an over-the-counter ear drying agent that contains isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol), such as Auro-Dri or Swim Ear, or one with acetic acid and aluminum acetate (Star-Otic).
    If you like, you might also create your own homemade swimmer's ear prevention solution by mixing equal parts of rubbing alcohol and white vinegar, and putting it in your child's ears after he swims.
    I also found this idea for preventing swimmers ear
    Although some experts think that earplugs are irritating and can lead to swimmer's ear, you can also keep water out of your kids' ears by using a barrier, like earplugs, including Mack's AquaBlock Earplugs or their Pillow Soft silicone Earplugs. If your kids have a hard time keeping their earplugs in, consider also using the Aqua-Earband or Ear Band-It neoprene swimmer's headband

MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 6:36 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I use to get swimmers ear all the time as a kid. It never hurt me. I would get it almost everytime I went swimming. I was wierd in that I liked getting it! hehehe!. I could hear the water sloshing around in my ear and thought it was cool. Then I put some swimmers ear drops in my ear and the water "bubble" would pop and the water would run out of ear all warm...I liked it. I know, I know, I'm a strange girl! HAHAHA
    geminishadow79

Answer by geminishadow79 at 8:06 PM on Jun. 27, 2009