does this really work?

i heard this growing up and don't recall if i have ever tried this but if your potty training your puppy they said to rub it's nose in the pee when it peed inside then you put the dog out?

i have told people that doesn't work and is cruel but they agrue with me that it does work. just curious has it ever worked or have known someone who has done this and it worked for them. they can only think of one dog this has worked for.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Pets

• This is a very old method. And No it doesn't usually work. What ends up happening is the animal begins to hid where he/she potties. So you'll get them going in corners or under furnature. There are methods of training out there that works. I don't know why anyone would continue doing this when its obvious that it rarely works not to mention its cruel.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 8:07 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• i dont use that way, i keep the puppy in a boy for 2 weeks at night only, with papers and thats how i do it and give treats when they do good
    Anonymous

• No it does not work and creates an even worse situation. No animal should be punished for having an accident. The pups ability to have an accident is a direct result of the owner neglecting the pup's needs. Humiliation is not the key to housebreaking. The key is being consistent and timely with your pup.

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 5:46 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Yeah that is not a good idea. Dogs go potty where they smell poop. It confuses them to take them back after ward and show them this spot again, Also may be hard to get your dog to go potty in front of you when you take them for a walk and want them to go.
    jmann83

Answer by jmann83 at 5:47 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• It worked for me...but I didn't RUB her nose in it! Also, I litter box trained so it was a little different situation. She'd pee on the floor 3 feet in front of the litter box. I tried not to do it if I saw it after she already did it, but if she was in the middle of it then I'd say "no, no" and put her right in her litter box so she could finish. But if it was poop than I would bring her back to it and say "no, no" and put her in the litter box again every time. It worked for me, but I never stuck her face in it! And every time she did go in the litter box I would say "good girl" and give her a treat. Worked very well :)
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 5:59 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• this is how i tough my dog and it worked for me its also the way i teach my cats but everyone is entittled to their opion...i do what i know works...i try the crate training and came home to a shity crate every nite and i tried paper training that didnt work b/c the dog ate the paper and shit on the floor so as a last resort i went back to the old fashion way of doing things and in a couple day he was whining at the door.
    Anonymous

• well my childhood dog growing up my mom used to stick her nose in the pee and hit her butt a few time with rolled up newspaper and make her go outside oh it worked
    mommydearest151

Answer by mommydearest151 at 11:21 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Rubbing your dog's nose in her pee works about as well as rubbing your child's face in her dirty diaper does, with about the same results.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Jun. 28, 2009

• buy a small crate && try crate training they dont like to pee &poop where they have to lie down just make sure you take the pup outside very often
    ddang

Answer by ddang at 12:44 PM on Jun. 28, 2009