How do you start weening from breast milk?

My baby girl will be 13 months on the 5th of July. She's done very well with nursing. I have a feeling lately that I might be pregnant again (opps) and I'm mentally and physically preparing for it ...... just incase. So I'm wondering how to start weening and how quick I need to put the breaks on nursing if I am pregnant again???? Any advice is welcome :) Thank you

jer5341

Asked by jer5341 at 5:49 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I know a number of women who have nursed throughout pregnancy. Unless you at risk for preterm contractions, or have difficulty eating and keeping your weight up, you should be fine to continue. If you are pregnant, just ask your OB about it.

If you want to wean your 13-month-old anyway, every child is different. Some are very attached and it is stressful. Others just go with it and take a sippy cup with regular milk like nothing has changed. So, it really depends upon your daughter's personality.
    DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 7:16 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• You don't have to quit nursing! Check out the "Pregnant and Tandem Breastfeeders" group here on Cafemom. :)
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 7:42 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Yup, keep nursing, you're doing great! I am 11.5 weeks pregnant and still nursing my 2 year old (she actually JUST day weaned herself). We have no plans to wean fully until she is read (or in high school, lol (joking) )

If you are not at risk for preterm labor or anything like that, you can happily nurse during pregnancy.

Definitely join the group posted above, and there are some books as well (google "books on tandem nursing, nursing while pregnant").

Also, sometimes babies wean themselves cause at some point in pregnancy your milk may change and your babe may not like it. Just follow your little ones cues :)
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 8:01 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I also got pregnant while nursing, and just nursed until my milk dried up. We eventually ended at 15 months old, 5 months pregnant. It was pretty gradual, and not stressful. You definitely can still nurse throughout if you wish though! :)
    squish

Answer by squish at 9:06 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• The World Health Organization, operating without the influences of the dairy, formula and porn industries (unlike American doctors) recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 24 months. Certainly give her a sippy cup with water, and make sure that she is eating a variety of healthy foods: fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, lentils, tofu, etc. Child-led weaning is best for both of you.
    Remember that cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 9:29 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I'm 24 weeks preggo and still nursing my 21 month old. So just pick the stopping time that is right for you, that's the only reason to stop, your new baby will be fine, no matter the decision.
    Marti123

Answer by Marti123 at 10:50 PM on Jun. 27, 2009