Someone please help me, my som hit the terrible twos at 16 ,months

Hes doing things he doesn normally do, kicking when I try to discipline him or take him where hes got to go, and just throwing the biggest fit over the smallest thing- or even over nothing!
If he doesnt know where I am its the end of the world for him and I just cannot keep him calm sometimes

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:05 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Terrible Twos is just an expression. It can happen at any time and last for god knows how long! Sorry! JMO, be consistent in punishments and rewards. Consistentancy is the most important thing at this age. Good Luck.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 6:08 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• This is COMPLETELY normal. COMPLETELY. I think almost every child goes through this, even earlier than 2 years of age. My daughter sure did, right at 15-17 months. It got to the point where I didn't want to leave the house with her, lol.

With the kicking/hitting/biting/pinching (which also seems to be a completely normal phase), when he does this, say "oww" or whatever, and show him how to "be gentle" and stroke his arm and talk sofly. I did this with my daughter and at first she would still do it, but kiss me right after, lol, and now she is 2 and absolutely never hits or anything.

Just be consistent, get down to his level, and have the compassion to know that he isn't doing it to hurt you, he is just testing his world.

I love the Dr. Sears Discipline Book, which addresses these concerns and shows you ways to deal.

Think of this as a way to establish a healthy parent/disciplinarian bond with your child.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 8:06 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• The terrible two generally happen in the child's second year of life, NOT when the child turns two years old.

Be consistent and patient. This too shall pass. My dd is 12 months old and she is starting to do the same things!
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:20 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I don't have a great answer for you, but I CAN RELATE!! I dreaded most days during the ages 15 months to about 19 months. Poor DS was so angry and frustrated with life, wanting to do things that his tiny body couldn't physically do and unable to communicate effectively. He wanted independance but couldn't have it. It was tantrum city, exhausting and it's not like you can put that age in time out!! Discipline is really hard, imo, at that age.

BUT hang in there, my son is now 21 months and is much easier to deal with, as he can do more of the physical things he wanted to do earlier. He can communicate and he understands the discipline thing much better. He can make choices and has a bit of reasoning. So just remember this phase will pass.

Also most of the books I read, emphasize make sure they are well rested as well, still needing 13-14 hours of sleep a day.
    Marti123

Answer by Marti123 at 10:47 PM on Jun. 27, 2009