Where would you rather your taxes go????

We all know that our country is in a bad way these days. Recently my husband and I were watching a documentary where states are cutting funding to education, laying off teachers (since I am a former teacher who hopes to teach again this worries me). They sink money into other things, such as sports stadiums, environmental issues (which I do think are important). Would it not be better to make cuts to other areas, sink money into education even with a deficit? In doing this, even going further in debt, they states would be investing in their future. More students would graduate, get jobs, put money back into the economy and pay taxes instead of being on welfare, unemployability, etc. At least that is where I would want my tax money to go.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:16 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I would want it to go to a better healthcare system, Free education... That makes alot of sense there, cuz if edcuation was there for people who couldn't normally afford it, then the economy would be in a better place. More college graduates=more people working= a way more productive economy. I would also want my tax dollars to go to normal things like firefighters, policeman, fixing roads and bridges, med-rides for the ones who don't have a car, PA for the ones who struggle with a job or are unemployed but show proff they are looking. I can think of more things, but that would take a novel for me to type.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 6:22 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I think that the gov is spending money on stupid stuff. For example, the town over from us just built a 10 million dollar city jail when the old one was still in good working condition. They just wanted a prettier one. Education, healthcare, roads, etc. Thing that benefit everyone, not just certain groups, should be getting the taxes.
    tykesmommy

Answer by tykesmommy at 6:31 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I would agree. The education system should be a bigger priority than sports stadiums and 'green' programs.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:38 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Our school district just cut 45 teachers. Our average classroom size for this next year will be 35-42...K-12. I am just sick about it. They could have saved almost a million dollars a year by going to a 4 day school week. Thank you so much idiot school board and stupid teachers union. It is so nice to know that you have my childrens best interest in mind.

Our school district needs 7 million over 2 years to meet the shortfall. When I think about things like Pelosi's 120 mil mouse, the 400 thousand to study gay sex in Brazil another 400 thousand to study why men don't like to wear condoms and more than a million to make a turtle tunnel it makes me physically ill.

IMO almost every politician at the state level and in DC need to go. There should be term limits and conflict of interest oversight. Taxes are too high and there is far to much waste.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:49 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• IMO~ We should FEDERAL Pay Taxes to regulate and maintain a military; establish a post office and post roads. (See Constitution)... Otherwise States should be given more control to run their state as they see fit. Lessaiz Faire. Just as our fore fathers had inteneded. 

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:26 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Look at Florida Marlins!!! They are building a multi-BILLION dollar sports stadium for their baseball team. It is in the middle of the ghetto. No one goes to the games anyway, AND they are laying off teachers left and right. Why should tax dollars go to a baseball team???? just scratch the team. You've got the Tampa Bay devilrays anyway! Why not private funding if you want a damn baseball team so badly!!! CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• grlygrlz2, i was talking about state dollars. but i do support a single education system throughout the STATE!! every school district should be on the same page no matter where in the state you live! i am not talking about federal dollars to support education. but i believe that states spend money in dumb places and then wonder why the education system is so poor??? There is something seriously wrong with society and politicians when they will fund dumb projects but not invest in our STATEs' = COUNTRY's future!!!!
    Anonymous

• Military, education, roads, bridges, care of state and federal park systems, up-grade water, sewer, telephone. Better care of our seniors, children, disabled. A freeze on spending in DC unless approved by a public vote, except for the programs mentioned with no pork.
    I would like to see the pork money returned to the Treasury at once. No need to study the smell of swine. We all know pigs stink. No need for a study of men and condoms. They don't like them and we all know that. No more bailouts unless the public votes. No more Csar positions without public approval.

And, no more dates, which our tax dollars pay for the security and the security transportation and scrutiny of the designated site, while I have to sit home on my ass because my tax dollars are allowing you a date.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 8:31 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Well, there is no such thing as a free education and never will be. School taxes are norm whether or not you have a child in school. Thats sad. I'd settle for paying while my kids were in school and not after they leave k-12. After all most of us have to pay for college and that is tough. I have a hard time justifying it though because the quality is not that good and thereis that huge amount of waste in higher education. There are a whole lot of things we pay taxes for, City, County, State, School and some pay mud taxes and college district fees. There are gas taxes and taxes on services, FICA, medicare and S.S. taxes. I think we need to start learning how to adjust on what we pay rather than upping the taxes every year. This cannot go on forever. While Americans are expected to budget with what they have left why aren't other entities doing it too?
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:23 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Investing in education would save us all money in the long run on welfare, law enforcement, unemployment, etc.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:01 PM on Jun. 27, 2009