PLEASE RESPOND

so im 34 weeks and i was wondering should i start discussing with my doctor about my birth plan and things...what is some of the things i should discuss with my doctor around this time

dilemma1

Asked by dilemma1 at 6:16 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have always done that at my 35 week appt. Make sure to bring a copy of your birth plan to have an open discussion with them. Bring a copy to the hospital when you register too.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 6:20 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I just made it known to my doctor I wanted an epidural, and an episiotomy. I just kept saying DON'T LET ME TEAR! lol I saw my sister tear. OW. lol.

LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 6:39 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Methods of dealing w/ pain...if you want an epidural, exercises, meditation, etc. Who you do & do not want in the room. The position you'd like to be in during birth. If you'd like to view the birth w/ a mirror. Who'll cut the umbilical cord & if you'll be donating the cord blood.

Here's a checklist I used from BabyCenter:
    http://www.babycenter.com/100_create-your-own-birth-plan_5235284.bc

I typed out my own & I planned on giving it to my doctor, but I didn't. I ended up having everthing go my way during my birth without a birth plan. Remember that your birth plan isn't always going to go the way you...erhm...plan. Especially if you think you're going to have a vaginal birth & end up having a c-section.

Just be open-minded.
    Anonymous

• I think the first thing to remember is while having a birth plan in place is wonderful you may never get to use it. I spent my last pregnancy writing out my birth plan to the "t" and it was not used at all because I went to 42 weeks and had to be induced then never dilated and had to have a c-section that was not at all what i plan, all natural Absolutely no drugs or IV's no vaccinating my baby and i was planning a water birth... but anyway back to your question just don't set yourself up for disappointment like I did. Just a general birth plan is fine. Add things like whether or not you want an epidural (if you say NO in your plan some hospitals stick to it even if you change your mind I would leave it open just incase) whether or not you want the baby to have the ointment in the eyesor vaccinations (like Hep B etc..) If you want your baby in room etc.. i'm running out of room. good luck and congrats!
    angelbabies14

Answer by angelbabies14 at 8:20 PM on Jun. 27, 2009