Decongestant to take while nursing

I need a decongestant but I'm nursing...baby is only 3 days old...what is safe to take??

cmiller83

Asked by cmiller83 at 6:25 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Most will say absolutely nothing except plain ol' saline spray up the nose, personally I have had no problem with Sudafed PE in very SHORT doses (think like at night only) and I always paired that up with Mother's Milk Tea...either way, I would call a doctor and see what they say! Good Luck and hope you get feeling better!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 8:59 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• NOTHING containing psudoephedrine. Most others are fine. I have Dr. Hale's book, Medications and Mothers' Milk if you'd like me to look something specific up. Try a vapor plug, humidifier, HOT steam showers.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:03 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:23 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• i was able to take sudafed while preg and was told if safe to take during pregnancy you can take while nursing. if in doubt call your mother baby unit at the hospital and they may be able to tell you what you can take
    newmommy61207

Answer by newmommy61207 at 10:30 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• My docs told me that whever you can take while preggers, you can take while nursing. The only thing I know they said I could take was Tylenol (so tylenol cold, sinus, etc). Hope you feel better!
    Kiiimmm

Answer by Kiiimmm at 11:04 PM on Jun. 27, 2009