Suggestions for staying smoke free?

So I'm on my second day of not smoking, and it's really hard. Any ex-smokers have advice on how to keep your mind busy?

Nykalayla

Asked by Nykalayla at 6:58 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Health

• hydration, i drank at least 12 bottles of water a day when i quit
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:59 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Get into Sudoku puzzles or crosswords. Chew the pencil.
    Anonymous

• Twizzlers, hard candy, something like that
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 7:10 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• exercise!!!!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:12 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Thank you everyone. It's nice to feel like I have a little support system to keep me in check!
    Nykalayla

Answer by Nykalayla at 7:14 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• All good ideas to help you! One thing I'd add is to take a good vitamin B complex. With giving up cigarettes, you need something to help calm your nerves and vitamin B will help with that.

You can also tape affirmations to your mirror or wherever you will see them a lot, like "I enjoy being a healthy, calm and happy non-smoker." It takes time to start seeing yourself as a non-smoker but that's what you need to do.

Tobacco products also burn up the vitamin B from your body when you smoke-which speeds up aging. One good reason to quit! Think how much younger you will look.
    TexasMom817

Answer by TexasMom817 at 7:18 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• could you read a new book? try being around your kids more? go places that you cant smoke. (where i live u can no longer smoke in restaurants, even bars are smoke free! try to stay relaxed & just try to enjoy as much as you can...
    Personally I smoked for 15yrs. the day i found out i was pregnant I was done! I smoked 1 cig cause i was stressed & couldnt even enjoy it out of guilt.. it was hard. but the guilt of smoking was much stronger. DH also quit smoking once dd was born. he said chewing on straws helped & gum.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:29 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• My husband quit a 15 can-a-week Copenhagen habit when he came home from Iraq by chewing gum. Packs and packs and packs of gum.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 8:30 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Congratulations!!!

Drink lots of water

Chew gum

Brush your teeth

Answer by rkoloms at 8:56 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Would it help to know that my father just died of smokers lung cancer?The cancer spread quickly over his lungs,he couldn't breathe well,he went on oxygen,then he went into a coma because he wasn't getting enough oxygen to his brain,his breathing got very slow and then he died.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:58 AM on Jun. 28, 2009