Sheesh! Why, when you page a dr on-call, do the take forever to call back?

I've been waiting for almost an hour now!!! Good thing I'm not dying (I hope!)

TheDiva320

Asked by TheDiva320 at 7:00 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• They are putting out fires ahead of yours.
    Anonymous

• They may be on call but they do have lives too. They could be busy, the answeing service could have waited to get them the message, they could already be at the hospital on another emergency. They could have even had an emergency of their own. If you are that worried, call again or go to the ER or an urgent care clinic.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:03 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Most the time when they're on call they're doing rounds as well. They are at the hospital with patients. Wait a little while longer. Possibly he's in surgery or delivering a baby. Call the nurse's station at the hospital you deliverd and ask them for advice
    Anonymous

• Honestly, because they are people with lives too. They might be out fishing or mowing the grass or doing whatever it is that the rest of us do. They know it's their job to call you back, and they will. It's only a courtesy that they allow patients to call them anyway, it's not a law or anything. Many times when they get a call they might just be trying to hurry and finish something up so they can devote all of their time to the patient and not be distracted. Good luck, and be patient, he/she will retirn your call. If it gets to be too big of an emergency, go to urgent care and dont wait for the call.

Anonymous

• *return* not retirn, sorry.
    Anonymous

• Here it can take up to 72 hours (they say) max it's ever taken has been 48. I figure if I don't think I/child should wait that long, we bring them to the ER. I swear we are there twice a month at least.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 7:09 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Obviously whatever you are calling about is not life threatening and if it is I hope you would call 911 or go to the hospital yourself instead of waiting for a call back.

Anonymous

• He called back! Yeah! And now I have to go to the ER. Thanks guys!
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 7:17 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Good question. I called the ped earlier about my daughter's earache earlier today. I was in the ER already when they called back. Blahhhhhhhhh.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:48 PM on Jun. 27, 2009