Anyone have experience...

...making fruit leather? Obviously need a dehydrator, right? And how much fruit would you need? Is it pretty simple/kind of difficult?

Wheepingchree

Asked by Wheepingchree at 7:21 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I made fruit leather and it turned out really good. I used applesauce and peaches. I followed a recipe. Maybe google it. I remember that I had to puree it but don't remember if I had to cook it first.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 7:30 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• My grandma and mom both, just set the fruit leather out in the sun. I"m pretty sure they covered it (I don't recall bugs being stuck in it) LOL! I'm thinking they used wax paper poured it out on cookie sheets and let it dry naturally.

I remember mom pureeing the fruit, but I don't remember the rest of the process. I remember too that she used honey as the sweetener instead of sugar. One batch she made was pretty tart, but I was a weird kid and liked it! LOL!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 7:42 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• i didn't know you could dry it out in the sun like that! excellent - now i don't have to buy something & can start making it tomorrow!!!
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 8:00 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• You can use drained canned or frozen fruits for this simple snack, you'll be happier with the results if you use fresh fruit in season.

Fruit Leather
    1 cup (250 ml) fresh fruit such as peaches, pears,pineapple, cherries, plums, or strawberries
    1 cup (250 ml) applesauce
    Vegetable oil or cooking spray
    Peel the pears, peaches, and pineapple if using. Remove pits and seeds from all, and cut into chunks. Combine with the applesauce in an electric food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Spread the puree on a lightly oiled baking sheet and place in a preheated 400F (200C) oven. Immediately reduce the temperature to 200F (90C) and bake for 2 to 3 hours, until the puree is no longer sticky and can be peeled from the baking sheet. Cool and store in an airtight
    container or plastic bag. Serves 4.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:01 PM on Jun. 27, 2009