how old were your toddlers when they started to walk?

my son is 14 mo old almost 15 and hes still not walking. My husband is starting to get concerned. I am also 8 weeks pregnant and a high risk one at that. so i wont be able to carry him everywhere soon. He stands by himself on the bed and couch coushined stuff, but like two seconds on the floor. He walks well whith a walker and when we hold his hand.... what can i do to encourage him? He's in daycare durring the day but they wont put him in the ones room because he isnt walking... any advice? plus the daycare says hes like really smart whith everthing else but is slow with that... he was rolling over and crawling before most so idk. i know it takes time, which we have just would like some advice. oh and hes already saying mama and dada thank you hello and cup. thats normal too right? thanks girls:)

shorty_18

Asked by shorty_18 at 7:27 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My first was 11 months, my second DD was 18 months, and my third child was 13 months...Dont worry to much yet mom, they do these things in their own time. Does he have one of those walk behind type toys, does he take steps holding onto it.
    My DD would only walk with it until one day she just let go, I think she was lazy and a bit scared LOL
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:29 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• My son was 11 months. He was walking along things but didn't want to do it himself. One day I just sat in the middle of the floor with nothing around that he could grab, and I put him in front of me I would scoot back a little at a time and no kidding THAT DAY he started walking! Give it a try. I'm sure your baby can walk, he just doesn't want to. Lol. Thats how my little guy was. Hes almost 16 months now and runs everywhere! lol. Its so nice. because I am four months pregnant now. So I know what you mean not wanting to lug them around. My pregnancy isn't high risk but I did have some bleeding early on so we were told to be careful as well. Good Luck! And Congrats!
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 7:33 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• lol thanks moms. yes hes been walking around holding onto things for lots of months he has the walk behind one and the sit in one. Were going to put away the sit in one tho because he can get out lol. im just anxious and excited to have him walking around:)
    shorty_18

Answer by shorty_18 at 7:36 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• My son was 10 1/2 months.
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 7:52 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• ps. I heard the walker can actually DELAY walking...
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 7:53 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Yes, a walker can delay walking, how ironic but it's true.

If you are very concerned, talk to your ped, but he should start walking soon.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 7:57 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• my son was about 10 months old when he actually started walking. He started walking while holding on to things at about 8 months.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 8:04 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• my 1st was 9 months, and my 2nd was 10 months
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 8:31 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• My son was a few days past his 18 month birthday when he got up and walked on his own. He could walk with very little help, or take a few steps here and there. But actually just got up and walked at 18 months.

Now it is ok for a child to go up to about 2 years without walking. It's not common, but it happens sometimes.
    NickyJamesMom

Answer by NickyJamesMom at 8:32 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• my dd was 10 months when she started walking. she was saying mama and dada and ball by 8 months and then suddenly all speech stopped when daddy deployed. She's 19 mos now and just started really talking and trying to say words a week ago. Now she says 32. Suddenly he will get it and you won't be able to slow him down :) Every kid is defferent as I'm sure you know!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 8:52 PM on Jun. 27, 2009