How do you become friends with someone you can't stand?

My brother-in-law has a girlfriend i can't stand and to make matters worse it puts a damper with my husband and his brother. I'm not sure what to do they see me a devil. i don't know why i've tried to nice and civil but it doesn't work. My husband would like to go on double dates and do things so he feels like he has a brother.

jrandpw

Asked by jrandpw at 7:44 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• grit your teeth and make him promise you a week of doing the dishes or something. I've had to do this before...Good luck girl!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 7:51 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• put on a smile and just go. your doing it for your hubby and brother in law not for her.. girlfreinds come and go but family is forever.
    northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 7:56 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• You don't have to be her friend, and that's something you can't fake. You don't even have to like her. You just have to tolerate her, be civil and smile at her once in a while, whether you want to or not.
    AutumnBlessing

Answer by AutumnBlessing at 8:02 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• i dont know.. i dont like my SIL, and its very hard to fake like i do!!!!
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 8:13 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• You say they see you as a devil. Those are strong words. Surely you must have a reason why ? Have you and her had words in the past? Why can't you stand her? Anyway I say to just do your best to forget about what has happened in the past and either forgive and forget or their will continually be problems. If you cannot stand her, you will not be able to fake it. Your true feeling wil eventually come to the surface. You will have to forgive her from your heart in order to be her true friend.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 8:31 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• kill her with kindness
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 8:32 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• There are lots of people that i just tolerate. I don't have to like them but I have learned to deal with them. Often I will tell myself, I know you want to get so and so in a headlock, but just act nice instead. It's not always easy, but if you don't have something nice to say then say nothing at all.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 8:45 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• After all is said & done here, there are a few things that are being missed....For starters, your DH needs to respect you for how you feel about her.. Whether he likes it or not, they are brothers before & will be after, whether or not you talk w/her or not... I wouldn't do it.. I hate small talk at all costs.... How you feel about this girl has nothing to do w/how your DH feels about his brother or vice-versa.... They all need to respect your feelings & not have you in the middle of it... This is & should be between your BIL/GF, not all 4 of you.... It's just wrong to have these 2 grown adult males act like it's all up to you to make things right.... Take Care Honey, Donna....
    dobrd

Answer by dobrd at 8:48 PM on Jun. 27, 2009