Should the shoulder straps on rear facing ever be below the shoulders?

I am confused. I was jsut told when rear facing the shoulder straps should be below the shoulders. I don't see how this could be safe.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:52 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    Anonymous

• Didn't the hospital show you how to strap the baby in? I sure HOPE you haven't been driving around with the baby in the car seat like that.......
    Anonymous

• No, they should be just ABOVE. Which reminds me... I noticed that I have to adjust my sons. I think I'll go do it now while he's in bed!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:13 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Wow, I would check with the police and/or fire department and have them look at the installation of the car seat and have them look at your baby all hooked up in the car seat.
    We thought the shoulder straps should always be slightly above the shoulders, too, but when we went to a car seat safety thing with a video and all, they even gave us a free car seat, the fire department volunteers were on hand to help install the seats into our vehicle and then to check that the baby was latched in appropriately. They made us move the straps to below shoulder level and said they should never be above shoulder level.
    Have yours checked by officials because you'll get a different story from people who are told differently by everyone else.
    By the way, police and fire departments check car seat installations for free - they care about the safety of infants and children in the vehicles.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:33 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• On rear facing they should be just below the shoulder, for forward facing they should be just above the shoulders. Just to clarify, you should be using the slots just below the shoulders and putting the straps over the babies shoulders from there; not feeding the straps under their armpits or anything like that. I know that should be obvious but there are a lot of idiots on the internet and I'd hate for someone to misunderstand and not strap their baby in correctly.
    Anonymous