Should the shoulder straps on rear facing ever be below the shoulders?

My friend is telling me that when rear facing the straps are supposed to be below the shoulders. I don't see how this is safe. (asked in just for fun too)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:54 PM on Jun. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• no they should go over the shoulder/arm and then snap in the front.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:56 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• the cushion on the straps should be on the neck ontop of the shoulders. and the straps should be on the shoulders...the buckle should be mid chest...
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 7:57 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• sorry I should clarify that the straps still go over the shoulders but they come otu of the slot that is below the shoulders is what i'm being told.
    Anonymous

• In the carseat installation instructions it says that rear facing the straps should be in the slot that is lower than or equal to shoulder level. And forward facing the straps should be in the slot that is above or equal to the shoulders. I try to keep them lower than the shoulders when rear facing but the settings are too far apart and after a while it starts to force my kids down into weird positions and seems very uncomfortable, so I move it up even though it is then above their shoulders. I don't see why it would be safer, but it is what the instructions say.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 8:02 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• The hole that the straps go into on the back of the seat should be just below the shoulders on a rear facing seat. In an accident, the child would be pushed into his seat, not thrown forward. If the straps go into holes above his shoulders, then he might rise up in the seat - as high as the straps will let him.
    Once the child is forward facing, the straps should go into the hole just above the shoulder. In an accident, the child will be thrown forward. If the straps go into holes below the shoulders there will be extra strap length for the child to be thrown against... the further he moves, the greater the risk of injury.

http://www.seatcheck.org/pdf/inspection_form.pdf See points 6 and 7 on the form.

http://www.seatcheck.org/pdf/inspection_form.pdf
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:04 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• On my car seat ( Graco) it is suppose to be the slot above the shoulders when it is forward facing. It may be different for other car seats, but I hope that helped.

MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 8:04 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Straps go below the shoulder or even with them, its because when in an accident the child rides up in the seat, if the child can ride up much(from the belts being above the shoulders) you are asking for them to move too much and have neck damage.
    http://www.thecarseatlady.com/car_seats/rear-facing_seats_9.html
    http://www.carseatsite.com/correct_harness_use.htm
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:25 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• the slot at or below the shoulders

PeytonNBella

Answer by PeytonNBella at 8:26 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• your local police or fire station can check to make sure that your car seat is installed properly and your baby is strapped in correctly

Answer by rkoloms at 9:12 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• When the seat is rear-facing the harness must be in the slot that is AT OR BELOW the shoulders. In the even of an accident the force will cause the child to ramp up the seat. If the harness is below the shoulders this will prevent ramping and the child will held securely in place. When the seat is forward facing the harness must be in the slot that is AT OR ABOVE the shoulders. In the event of an accident the child will be jolted forward, and if the harness straps are below the shoulders it will create to much pressure in the wrong direction resulting in greater injury.
    alysmom720

Answer by alysmom720 at 9:12 PM on Jun. 27, 2009